Last Call (I promise) for Whites partners 3/7-11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
I've deleted my previous partner search posts. They're history. It's come down to this. My last week. The Crunch. The End Game. I join you or you join me.
I'm looking at Sunday through Thursday, March 7-11.
I need:
Washington and Monroe
Garfield and Galehead
N & S Kinsmans
Mt. Moriah

I'm 55 and hike towards the slow side of moderate. If your group needs, wants, or could cheerfully tolerate another member, please let me know. If you're also without a partner, maybe we can team up.

There may be more people hiking Sunday than the other days, so that's my best chance for finding company for Washington and Monroe. You may see me at Marshfield Station that morning with a sign saying "Will climb Mt. W. for food." But weather trumps partner availability.

I'd like to finish on Moriah. If I can't do that by Thursday and only Moriah is left, I could try a very early start on Friday. Or I'd return the following Monday.

If the week is successful, and I finish the NE115W, I can devote the following Monday, my last free day of official winter, to attempting Allen to complete a 3rd winter round of the ADK 46, my other lofty goal for this winter.

Last edited:
Iplan on hiking Moriah on monday. At least it will be broken out for you.:cool:

Iplan on hiking Moriah on monday. At least it will be broken out for you.:cool:

I'll be at Tucks Fri nights. Sat (MArch 6) I'm planning to loop up to Mt Wash and then return via Bootspur back to Tucks. Should be a beaut of day. Caleb

I actually found a partner and we plan to meet at the parking area for hikers just below Marshfield Station at 7:30AM Sunday. Looks like a nice day for it.
Will play rest of the week by ear. Probably hike Mon, rest Tues, then hike Wed & Th. But if you're looking at hiking Tues, I could do it then.

Mt. Allen on Monday

Mark,

Even though I have to be back home by 12p on Tuesday, I'm willing to consider doing Mt. Allen w/ you on Monday. How long would this hike be?

It doesn't like there's any easy way... so it's the type of hike I like.

On Sunday Hummingbird and I climbed Mts. Washington and Monroe. A good sampling of what Mt. W is known for, but with mild temps. I hiked up to Lonesome Lake Hut late that afternoon/early evening and stayed there as a guest of the St. Lawrence U. Outing Club members. Did the Kinsmans yesterday with pretty good views, though lots of cloud and haze over the Greens.
Today is a rest day. Tomorrow, God willing, I'll climb Garfield and Galehead. Then Mt. Moriah on Thursday w/ Bob of BobandGeri, and Justin, who I just met at Hikers Paradise in Gorham.

Mark,

Even though I have to be back home by 12p on Tuesday, I'm willing to consider doing Mt. Allen w/ you on Monday. How long would this hike be?

It doesn't like there's any easy way... so it's the type of hike I like.

Allen is about 18-19 miles r/t. There's a long, not too hilly approach I'd like to ski if you have skis. Unless the snow is slushy. I'm not up on klister technique. With all this warm weather, the Opalescent crossing could be a big problem. This is the first site and thread I hit when I logged on. I'll be checking TR's and TC's, and forecasts to see how doable Allen might be. I'll get back to you via PM w/ contact info, as I may not have computer access on a convenient basis.

Mark,

The river crossings w/ the snowmelt came to mind for me as well. Eyeballing the map, it looks like there are plenty alternative peaks to bag, but that wouldn't do you any good for you.

As far as skis go, I am willing to rent them. For level ground transportation, I don't think it would be rocket science to learn. In 2007-8, I did 7,723.48 miles on a bike, so I suppose I'm in good enough shape to at least give it a try.

On Sunday Hummingbird and I climbed Mts. Washington and Monroe. A good sampling of what Mt. W is known for, but with mild temps. I hiked up to Lonesome Lake Hut late that afternoon/early evening and stayed there as a guest of the St. Lawrence U. Outing Club members. Did the Kinsmans yesterday with pretty good views, though lots of cloud and haze over the Greens.
Today is a rest day. Tomorrow, God willing, I'll climb Garfield and Galehead. Then Mt. Moriah on Thursday w/ Bob of BobandGeri, and Justin, who I just met at Hikers Paradise in Gorham.

Allen is about 18-19 miles r/t. There's a long, not too hilly approach I'd like to ski if you have skis. Unless the snow is slushy. I'm not up on klister technique. With all this warm weather, the Opalescent crossing could be a big problem. This is the first site and thread I hit when I logged on. I'll be checking TR's and TC's, and forecasts to see how doable Allen might be. I'll get back to you via PM w/ contact info, as I may not have computer access on a convenient basis.