Last Minute Owls Head Crossings 411 Needed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenC

Reaction score
Avitar: Sunset from Perch : Home:Western Mass
A buddy and i were planning on Owls Head tomorrow from Lincoln Woods for our 44th and 45th. I've heard a lot about the crossings!! But this is our first time to the Owl. With so much rain on it's way and a flood watch issued, what are the chances were going to be turned back with unpassable conditions?

We were going to finish on Carrigan but maybe that would be a better choice.

Thanks in advance

Ken

Be prepared to wade across worst case. It is sometimes shallow where you can get across with limited spillage, but I have had to go in up to my knees before. It wasn't a problem, but the boots were off.

I would avoid crossings

With the heavy rain and then cold air to follow, I would avoid them alltogether. There is a bushwhack you can take from Black Pond, but I don't know the particulars. If you're comfortable with bushwhacking you could get some info on that and whack over to the Lincoln Brook Trail. I think it saves some miles, although not on time because of being off trail. Most importantly, you avoid those crossings.

I bet the rivers will be very high after the couple inches of rain we get, not to mention the chance of some light snow or at least some ice forming on rocks if it gets cold enough. Just a warning.

grouseking

We're planning on doing Owl's Head this weekend also, but coming in from the north. I understand that the section of the Lincoln Brook Trail from 13 Falls to the slide is wet in normal conditions, so it should be interesting after the rain. I was wondering if the 'wack along the northern ridge from the height of land on the LBT to the summit is possible, or is this a "winter only route"?

Dave

Whatever anyone does, I'd bring traction and full winter gear. Even though Owls Head isn't above treeline, there will prob be a quick freeze of the rain that falls today plus some snow, making for a dangerous icy mess. Add in the high probability of stong winds adds up for at least an uncomfortable day hiking. I know I'm taking tomorrow off, or at least hanging around where its gonna be 50 degrees tomrorow.

grouseking

On my one trip to Owl's Head by the standard route, the two big crossings were more than knee-deep. It was a dry day but some popular bathing spots (eg, the waterslides at Franconia falls) were officially closed due to rain earlier in the week. YMMV quite a bit.
Photos of those stream crossings and some notes about possible bushwhacks
are on my SP route page for the OH west slide.

lattinhill said:
. I was wondering if the 'wack along the northern ridge from the height of land on the LBT to the summit is possible, or is this a "winter only route"?
Someone reported that the brush is pretty heavy. You should be able to find the report with a search.

I did it 25yrs ago on skis--there were some heavy spruce spots on the way up but we were able to go around them on the way down. We picked up the ridge a little south of the height-of-land between the ridge and Lafayette. (We came in from the south.)

The trail near the height of land is flat and has been reported to be wet, muddy, and easliy lost. (We lost it around here (just before turning up onto the ridge) too.)

Doug

Here's some of our reports from last year after Katrina remnants came through & brought flooding:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8868

Please be advised that the Pemi is one big bowl & whatever rain amount falls in the area gets multiplied when rain on all that acreage comes together in the brooks. If it were me I would wait, or find another hike with less of a crossing issue.

lattinhill said:
We're planning on doing Owl's Head this weekend also, but coming in from the north. I understand that the section of the Lincoln Brook Trail from 13 Falls to the slide is wet in normal conditions, so it should be interesting after the rain. I was wondering if the 'wack along the northern ridge from the height of land on the LBT to the summit is possible, or is this a "winter only route"?

Dave
I descended the northern ridge last fall, let's just say that was a mistake. It's a long, very thick route to the summit.

lattinhill said:
Thanks for the info...I was afraid it would be thick in there and best done on a snowpack.
It is also possible that there has been some growth since I was there...

Don't recall how deep the snowpack was, but we skied all the way from the Lincoln Woods Parking lot and I don't recall any bare ground anywhere.

Dense spruces on skis are almost as much fun as dense spruces on snowshoes or bareboot. :)

Doug

Last edited:
grouseking said:
With the heavy rain and then cold air to follow, I would avoid them alltogether. There is a bushwhack you can take from Black Pond, but I don't know the particulars. If you're comfortable with bushwhacking you could get some info on that and whack over to the Lincoln Brook Trail. I think it saves some miles, although not on time because of being off trail. Most importantly, you avoid those crossings. grouseking

Just to clarify that Black Pond bushwhack will help you avoid two out of the three crossings -- you will still have one to worry about. As grouseking said, it does cut off a couple of miles but it won't save you a heck of a lot of time... though I don't think saving time is really your goal. Bushwhacking from Black Pond out to Lincoln Brook Trail is really easy... it's a little more difficult hitting the pond when you're heading back though.

- Ivy

I did this hike a few weeks ago and found the crossings difficult then. There was no way to stay dry and the water level was up to knee high on the first crossing. After all this rain, I think you might be turned back.

And from the North, the section of Lincoln Brook Trail from 13 Falls to the slide is rough and extremely wet. Here's my TR (trip report)
Whatever you decide, be careful and have fun!

Owl's head Brook Crossing

The Crossing just before you hit the slide is not terribly long but the water tends to be deep and it is in an are where the water level will react quickly to rainfall. My suggestion: Wait until you have good weather, it's a long way to go to have to turn back and getting swept away by the stream, as has happened at Gale River could be disastrous.

Take the Black Pond Bushwack - basically head out to Black Pond and then head at @ 350 degrees - you most likely will pick up signs of a herd path. Very open woods and easy to do. Coming back can be a bit trickier based on on you skill level.

For any crossings, bring along teva's and a towel - use pole as well when crossing - but use commmon sense - if the water is a raging river, turn back and do it another day.

A lot of the trail after teh bushwhack to the start of the slide is wet most of the year - with heavy rains it will be like walking in a stream. We'd save it for another day ourselves.

poison ivy said:
Just to clarify that Black Pond bushwhack will help you avoid two out of the three crossings -- you will still have one to worry about. As grouseking said, it does cut off a couple of miles but it won't save you a heck of a lot of time... though I don't think saving time is really your goal. Bushwhacking from Black Pond out to Lincoln Brook Trail is really easy... it's a little more difficult hitting the pond when you're heading back though.

- Ivy
Ivy nailed it!

FWIW:
I've hiked Owl's Head 18 times in the last 2 years, in all kinds of conditions. I had planned to bag it again tomorrow, (as well as a few other peaks) but the 2-3 inches of rain forecasted for that area has changed my plans.

For whenever you do eventually bag it... I came in from the North, via 13 Falls, left via the standard route (w/ the 3 crossings). Not only is the Northern route very wet, closer to a swamp in many parts, but it's also very difficult to follow the trail. Very few blazes doesn't help, either.

My vote would be hands-down for the standard route over the 13 Falls route, can't compare to the Black Pond bushwhack.

A little last minute weather info -- it rained heavily again tonight. Buckets. I'm across from the Mad River, which is flowing very high right now.

My .02 on Owl's Head -- I did the standard route in high conditions (but not flood warning stage) two years ago at the end of the summer. I waded thru thigh deep water. Not fun, but doable on a warm day. I don't think I'd want to strip down and try it now.

Bummer to have to rethink it all and leave Owl's Head for last tho....

Flood Warning For the Pemi

There is a flood warning for the Pemi River from Woodstock to Plymouth, with both places expecting minor flooding Saturday. Looks like the East Branch of the Pemi crested over 10 feet recently . This means it will be slowing receding. I'd definitely skip Owls Head for now and do something else, maybe even take a weekend off from hiking.

Oh, and 2.0 inches of snow in Randolph NH as of 10:54 pm!! :) I believe that its still snowing up there right now. Winter is almost here.

grouseking