Leavitt and Hunter 11-11-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
We started out from the end of Spruceton Road at 8:30and went up the Devil's Path. It was near freezing and there was obviously some snow up high, but almost none at the bottom. It turned out that there was never more than an inch of snow from Monday's flurries, and only a little ice here and there. No one wore traction devices and no on slipped and fell.

We wound our way up to the start of the old train tracks, and then donned another layer against the snow still on the trees along the tight herd path. This is where we started seeing lots of animal tracks. We saw bear, bobcat, grouse, turkey, other-bird, and possibly fox. Only the grouse itself was seen. The rail road bed is in ok shape. There are a few blowdowns to make your way around. It appears as though someone has spent quite a bit of (illegal?) effort to maintain the herd path from the railbed to the summit. We saw no blowdowns, and there were freshly sawn logs! :mad: :confused: Leavitt has become almost trivial, from being one of the toughest whacks in the Catskills several years ago. Oh well...

After getting back on the real path, we continued up to the Hunter Summit. There were several people and a few dogs at the top. The tower was covered with rime ice, and a foggy mist was blowing across the summit, obscuring visibility quite a bit. We noted 5 different kinds of water during the day: flowing water, sheets of ice, rime ice, fog, and hoar frost.

We ate a snack and then returned down past the John Robb leanto site, making a big 10 mile loop. As we went down the old road we cleared all but one large blowdown out of the way. The new bridge is still under construction. Someone had thrown one of the building planks over the stream and used it to cross. We finished at 3:00 and headed off to celebrate! :D

Hey Tom - we must have just missed each other on Hunter. I was up there yesterday afternoon too. Sounds like we had better views than you did though.

Hey Tom - we must have just missed each other on Hunter. I was up there yesterday afternoon too. Sounds like we had better views than you did though.
How did you come up? We arrived around noon and stayed for about 1/2 hour. All I could see was Rt. 23. :(

We did get better views from some of the view points that look in a single direction.

How did you come up? We arrived around noon and stayed for about 1/2 hour. All I could see was Rt. 23. :(

We did get better views from some of the view points that look in a single direction.

We came up Becker Hollow but didn't start heading up until sometime after noon. We saw the people with the dogs coming down as we were heading up.

She is making a list and checking it twice!

Tom, are you coherent to the fact that Laurie is doing the grid?:eek::p We know she is smarter than you but we don't know if she is tricking you into some of these climbs or has used powers of persuasion to convince you to knowingly doing them with her!:D

Tom, are you coherent to the fact that Laurie is doing the grid?:eek::p We know she is smarter than you but we don't know if she is tricking you into some of these climbs or has used powers of persuasion to convince you to knowingly doing them with her!:D
I happen to have my own reasons for going! ;)

One is the 35 x 4. Leavitt counted! :D

And there is nothing wrong with going to Hunter for the 10th time, is there? Even Funky Freddy would approve! :p