Leavitt (SW Hunter) via Notch Lake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Since we were not sure if Spruceton Road or Rt. 42 were open, (see other thread), we started out for Leavitt from Rt. 214. We met one person at the trailhead by arrangement for a 3500 Club hike, and started off up the annoying Devil's Path. As you may know, this path goes steeply up, then sidehills, then drops, then goes around a cliff, then steeply up, then down, etc., etc. for miles! Ok, it's the DEVIL's Path! :eek: The views are limited but we did sneak in a few peeks at the paeks. :D The best views of the day to me were of Plateau, looking very imposing as we came back down the trail later.

We made it to the lean to in about 2 hours. Here we met TLP, a infrquent poster on VFTT. He told me he was going to Leavitt, so I told him he could join us. I told him we knew the 'secret' path to the summit! :D After a brief break, we left the lean-to and I lead the way with TLP, and promptly walked right past the secret path! :eek: Laurie yelled to me to turn around and we re-traced our steps for a few hundred feet and started down the herd path. :eek:

The 'herd path' has been receiving regular maintenance and looks like a highway in a few places! We quickly made it to the turn off, and then ascended a more herd path looking path directly to the summit. It was 36 degrees at the top! After a brief refueling, we were off back down the way we came. We met lots of people still coming up the trail, quite typical. At the parking lot, most of the 3500 Club Executive board had spontaneously assembled. :D

Another beautiful day in the mountains! :D

Hey. It was good hiking with yous. I went on to Hunter afterwards. Took some photos, lingered around, and made it back to the trailhead around 14:45. Hope we can meet up again some time.