Liberty and Flume 2/12/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpschroder

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in joining I'm planning to hike up Mt Liberty and possibly make it to Mt Flume Saturday, 02/12/05. I'd be hoping to leave from the Flume visitor center area at 7AM and use the Liberty Spring Trail up and back down. Should be great snowshoeing with all the fresh snow from the storm... expect snowmobiles on bike path as well.

bpschroder said:
I'd be hoping to leave from the Flume visitor center area

FYI, there is a parking lot and trailhead north of the Flume visitor center. (Not referring to the Basin--this is off the same road as the turn-off to the Flume. Still S of where the Liberty Spring Tr leaves the snowmobile path.) Described in the guidebook. Parking lot was plowed last winter.

Shortens the walk along the snowmobile path.

Doug

Last edited:
Update

Doug,

Thanks for the info on the parking area just north of The Flume Visitor Center. If only I had realized this sooner! I've always started off to Liberty from The Flume parking lot. This would save some time and keep me from getting run over by snowmobiles! So, the new meeting area would be the parking area just north of the Flume Visitor Center at 7AM.

Hi,

I would like to join in on this hike too. I'm not familiar with the parking area though. Do you have directions on where it is???
thanks
MEB

MEB -- I'm not sure if you're coming from the north or the south to get over to Franconia Notch. But assuming you're headed North on 93, you want to get off onto Route 3 at the first exit on Franconia Notch Parkway. You drive past the Flume Visitor Center parking lot and head into the next parking area (it's on the right) which is known as both "Whitehouse Landing" or the "Liberty Spring parking lot" depending on who you're talking to.

I'm not sure what the landmarks are if you're headed south on Route 3, but if you hit the sign for the Flume parking center, turn around as you've gone too far.

I hope that helps! All we need is HikerBob & we'll have a Whiteface reunion! :)

- Ivy

Last edited:
Great...Thanks Ivy! I'll be coming north and I'm pretty sure I know where this is! See ya all tomorrow!
MEB

MEB said:
Hi,

I would like to join in on this hike too. I'm not familiar with the parking area though. Do you have directions on where it is???
thanks
MEB

The parking lot is between the Basin and Flume exits from 93. I believe it is only accessible from the south, so if coming from the north, get off 93 at the Flume exit, turn back north, and follow Ivy's directions.

One can also park at the Basin and hike south to Liberty Springs Trail--the LST trailhead off the snowmobile/bike path is about equidistant from both parking lots.

Doug

ok...now I am super confused! I'm looking at my guide book (and it may be out of date) and it says that parking is no longer available at the former Whitebridge Bridge parking area. Is this the lot that we are meeting at or is it a different one??
MEB

MEB said:
ok...now I am super confused! I'm looking at my guide book (and it may be out of date) and it says that parking is no longer available at the former Whitebridge Bridge parking area. Is this the lot that we are meeting at or is it a different one??
MEB
Rte 93 obliterated the former Whitehouse Bridge. Liberty Spring trail now leaves from the paved bike/snowmobile path. Starting from the road just outside the Flume parking lot (old Rte 3, the main street of N. Woodstock), drive north. The new parking lot will be on the right. The short connecting trail that leads toward the LST trailhead is named Whitehouse trail.

Doug