Liberty/Flume via Flume Slide Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathiecamper

Reaction score
Hi - Two of us (so far) are doing Flume and Liberty via Flume Slide Trail this Sunday 3/20. Meeting at 8am at the Dunkin' Donuts off Exit 23 from I-93. Anyone interested in joining David and I? Also, does anyone know about the trail conditions from the top of Flume over to Liberty? Another hike with "give our snowshoes a ride on our packs"? or leave them in the car? My cell # is 603-520-5597 if you would like to join us or just meet us there. I realize they won't count as a winter ascent, but want the fun of doing them in winter conditions. Got skunked on Washington 2 weeks ago... Also - where EXACTLY do we park and the mileage is? (I've seen anywhere from 7.5 - 9.8...) Thanks, Tigger

Please be aware that Flume Slide is a steep, technical trail. I am not aware of your experience or fitness level but I would nt recommend attempting it if you have limited winter experience! Good luck

conditions variable

From the top of Flume over to Liberty is quite easy, and should be pretty well-traveled. It's the Flume Slide itself you need to worry about. It's possible you'll have occassion to use snowshoes on the less-steep parts, it depends how well-packed the trail is and how quickly last weekend's snow is melting, I can't judge from here in Boston.
The slide itself is a steep scramble, but the crucial thing is that it's very wet, which this time of year means both ice and runoff. If you're lucky the ice will still be thick enough to make an ice tool useful, otherwise you may be breaking ice to find handholds. You absolutely will need crampons at some point, and you had better be comfortable using your hands for purchase, even if they get wet.
The trail normally requires almost nothing you'd call technique, and it's pretty short, but it can be downright scary when it's icy.

Last edited:
Tigger...

I would say that the best place to park for this trip is the back of the Flume parking lot. I'm not sure how the trail gets out of there (there should be signs), but look for a snowmobilie trail and follow it to the left until you cross a bridge. The trailhead should be just across that bridge.

You could also park at the Basin parking area that is a little farther up the road. From there, follow the snowmobile trail South about 1/2 a mile to the trailhead just before you reach a bridge.

I did this trip a little less than 2 months ago and I found that the Liberty Springs trail was easier to go up and down (Starts at the same trailhead). I'm sure that it is more packed down, too. The Flume Slide trail looked pretty steep near the top, so I would bet you will need crampons. The ridge between Flume and Liberty will probably be good snowshoe conditions as there are some steep spots and a lot of below-treeline snow.

My recommendation would be to go up Liberty Springs and hit both peaks from there, which is strictly an out-and-back, climbing over Liberty twice. If you are feeling adventurous, take Flume Slide trail up, over Flume and Liberty, and down the Liberty Springs (good glissading spots, too!).

As for mileage, I would purchase an AMC White Mountain Guidebook and look it up there. I don't have mine handy so I can't help you.

Good luck.

Flume Slide in the winter is going to be a major challenge for a winter DAYHIKER (versus expert winter climber) especially with the recent snow accumulations, there are may areas where human induced avalanches can and will occur. We went down it one winter on a low snow year and basically rode mini avalanches all the way down. Unless you do the bushwhack to the state park, you dont save a lot of time than running up Liberty SPrings trail as the relocated Flume trail runs north quite a distance and ties in with the Liberty Springs trail. I would recomend the run up Osseo trail, it is better graded than Liberty Springs and has some nice views, plus it is sheltered from Northwest winds.

Probably see ya there!

I'll keep my eye out although I'm not sure yet about time or trail... It'll definately be a last minute decision (depending on the kids, bedtime, sat.nite, trail conditions etc.)

Hope to see you there.

Capt. Jim

Flume

Tigger, seems you have got a good hike in mind........... I plan on joining yourself David and all others at the Dunkin' Donuts on Sunday.

Please PM me if your plans change.

H.

hmm...

I know this isn't that big of a deal, but I seem to notice a couple posts in this thread where people seem to try to discourage Kathie from attempting this hike, or warn her that it is a difficult route.

I find this disrespectful. I understand that if you are giving someone advice on a particularly treacherous route then you should always include a disclaimer such as "depending on your fitness and experience", but it seems like people are discouraging her because she:

a) hasn't posted here often
b) is unfamiliar with this particular route
c) is female

What if Kathie was an expert ice climber and has hiked thousands of miles before? Why assume she is a dayhiker?

I'm frustrated for her sake, but I'm also frustrated because I got plenty of condescending remarks when I first posted here. I feel like people assume that if you don't have 100+ posts on these boards then you are an ignorant rookie hiker.

In the future, please try to stick with answering the original question. Feel free to give advice and use the standard disclaimers, but think of how you would feel if people assumed you didn't know what you were doing.

I think she's fine with the comments...

albee said:
I know this isn't that big of a deal, but I seem to notice a couple posts in this thread where people seem to try to discourage Kathie from attempting this hike, or warn her that it is a difficult route.

I find this disrespectful. I understand that if you are giving someone advice on a particularly treacherous route then you should always include a disclaimer such as "depending on your fitness and experience", but it seems like people are discouraging her because she:

a) hasn't posted here often
b) is unfamiliar with this particular route
c) is female

What if Kathie was an expert ice climber and has hiked thousands of miles before? Why assume she is a dayhiker?

I'm frustrated for her sake, but I'm also frustrated because I got plenty of condescending remarks when I first posted here. I feel like people assume that if you don't have 100+ posts on these boards then you are an ignorant rookie hiker.

In the future, please try to stick with answering the original question. Feel free to give advice and use the standard disclaimers, but think of how you would feel if people assumed you didn't know what you were doing.

I don't think anyone was trying to be condecending or disrespectful, they (like myself) probably just don't know her and didn't take the time to look at some of her past posts. No disrespect intended to you here but I'm guessing you're a male (as am I). Men usually feel the need to defend themselves (their abilities, experience, etc.) whereas women do not. I know you're just trying to be nice (and that's great, I may not look it, but I'm an old fashion guy too) but notice SHE didn't feel the need to respond?

I DID look at some of her old posts and statements such as this:
"Having winter hiked/mountaineered for the past 26 years, I have been through my fair share of snowshoes. Starting with the classic Sherpa 'Featherweights' that I was so proud of when I was 18 yrs old."
tell me she knows well what she's getting into. A little quick math also tells me she didn't live 44 years by being a foolhardy risktaker. I'm not worried about her... I'm more concerned myself about holding her up :eek:

Just my .02 :)

Peace Out...
Capt.Jim

A Little Background...

I do appreciate everyone's concern as to my welfare. I started hiking when I was a toddler. I spent summers in Yosemite hiking with my parents and backpacking in the Sierras and yes I have hiked countless miles. I took my first winter mountaineering training course given by the Sierra Club in California when I was 17 years old. I am a rock/ice climber, avid skier (backcountry, alpine and nordic) and snowboard instructor. I have done 30 of the NH 48's in winter conditions. I have completed 65 of the 67 NE 4000ftrs as well. I barefoot water ski, mtn bike and ride 125-150 miles per week on my road bike. I have raced snowmobiles. My gelding was the #1 endurance Morgan in the U.S. (I race 50, 100 & 150 mile races on my horses and hopefully on my new mule). I singlehandedly ran a 140 acre farm/fairgrounds for 5 years plus am self-employed. I play hard, but also am well-aware of the risks involved in adventure sports! I am the FIRST person to jump on the bandwagon and jump up & down in regards to the inexperienced/unprepared morons that start hiking in their sneakers and blue jeans at 3 in the afternoon in hopes of making it up some peak; idiots who should (in my humble opinion) be charged for getting their stupid a _ _ es rescued! All this said, I am only 5 feet tall so am not as fast as all you long-legged guys that fly by me.... But I am tenacious and determined! Tigger

Last edited:
I rest my case.....

kathiecamper... all I can say is WOW... hope to see ya up there
icon_2thumbsup.gif

Capt. Jim

second thoughts

Folks, I'm going to pass on this hike tomorrow. I do have considerable winter hiking experience including a February ascent of Katahdin but have not climbed steep ice.

Thank you for all the feedback on this route and I'll look forward to hiking with you another time. It sounds like the weather is going to get ugly Sunday evening and driving home, undoubtedly in a state of physical exhaustion, is to much for me.

H.

Tigger , I Hiked Liberty Yesterday, Friday the 18 th , The trail is very well packed all the way to Flume. I would probably would not go down the Flume Slide. there is alot of snow above 3,000 ft There is some avalanche potential espcially with the temperature fluctuations between day time and night and the exposure to the sun. I just retuned via the Liberty Springs trail. I believe that there might have been a attempt to descend the Slide. But was abandoned .
Regardless of what path you choose have fun and be safe.
I should add I would bring snowshoes if it is going to be very warm . The Snow was very soft below 2,500 so you might end up postholing if the temps get as warm as forcasted today. and Sunday.
Hope this helps . I did see a few small mini slides on Flume On my return over Liberty.
I just re read your post. If you want to park at the trailhead for Liberety and Flume take the Flume Exit on 93 then drive north up RT 3 there is a sign that says trail head parking , Plenty of spaces. and out houses if you need them. I wish the state would include the Trail head parking sign on Rt 93

Last edited:
kathiehiker...

what happened? I was there and did FlumeSlide trail. Only made it to the Slide though... ran out of time (not to mention exhausted) after breaking trail the whole way through deep soft wet snow. Great day anyway. Will post a few details tomorrow... getting late.
See ya,
Capt.Jim

edit: look in General Backcountry section under thread "Looking for Kolflach Degre Owners" for trip report

Last edited: