Lofoten Islands - Norway - May 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diapensia

Reaction score
Back in May, I went to the Lofoten Islands in northern Norway and climbed some mountains. Taken me a long while to share, but hopefully it's better late than never...

The Lofotens are north of the Arctic circle, and mid-May was on the cusp of late Winter to early Spring. I spent 4 nights in Reine on Moskenesöya, one of the southern islands. The mountains there aren't all that tall (1500 - 3400 ft), but they rise right up out of the sea.

On the first day there I hiked in to Djupfjordheia (May 13)...

The trail starts at the ocean and goes up above a series of lakes.
This is the fourth in the chain of lakes, and still completely frozen. The mountain is Stövla (824 m, 2703 ft).
View attachment 3327

The Djupfjordheia summit (510 m, 1673 ft) is in the foreground. The peaks in the background are all part of Munkan ("The Monks", 775 m and 697 m).
View attachment 3328

One the second day, I sea-kayaked across the fjord from town and hiked up Helvetestinden (May 14)...

Here from the ridge is looking across Kjerkfjorden at the surrounding mountains.
View attachment 3331

Day three, I climbed up Reinebringen (May 15)...

The trail up Reinebringen (666 m, 2185 ft) is pretty steep. Since there are not really any trees, there are views the whole way. This is looking down at the town of Reine.
View attachment 3332

Looking up the rest of the ridge and neighboring fjords.
View attachment 3333

Beautiful photographs. I think I need to go there. Thanks for sharing these.

I visited family in Tonsberg, Norway back in '88. Every time I see pics i want to go back and visit again.