Lone and Rocky

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiker13901

Reaction score
Was any body interested in hiking Lone and Rocky in the Catskills from the South on a straight, very rigorous bushwack. I have some questions about private land and parking. Looking to go on a Saturday in June when days are long and hopefully somewhat cool. A long day. Compass and bushwacking skills are needed.

Never did it but sounds interesting and probably some nice cliffs and caves.

Lindsey Leiser
hiker13901

I might be
Are you coming in from the Denning trail head or up over Peekamoose and Table first?
If you spot cars you can do a through hike to Moon Haw raod adding Balsam Cap and with enough energy a short side hike to include Friday.
Keep us posted as it gets closer on dates and plans
Al

We just did them yesterday from Table. If you hurry up there you can follow our tracks :D :D . Seriously, the brush was pretty thick and we were able to avoid most of the bad cliffs with a little searching. I learned that a good quality USGS topo was much more helpful than the Catskills map that I had. It helped us to stay on the ridges to avoid much up and down. I would also recommend going over to BC. At least you can get some great views for all that scratching :) .

Hey Jim, yes, the NYNJTC maps are 100ft intervals, can pose problems for peaks like SW Hunter where the detail isn't there and it has a pretty flat summit plateau.

I have the topos for the entire NE and I usually take a look at them before I go on any bushwacks, if I think it's worth it to print, I'll bring a copy of it with me. I did that when I did Friday and BC, just in case we got off the herdpath.

Lindsey, sure you'd find some nice cliffs, caves and such.

From the south, it looks like all state land from Kanape Brook, which is where one would park to do Ashoken. That would be a long bushwack but it would be interesting...

Jay

As usual, most interesting areas fall on the corner of four adjacent topo maps. I have the NYNJ trail maps, and have learned the hard way to supplement them at times. A good way to do this is by using topozone. Here is a link to the map of this area, although at 100,000 scale. 50,000 scale is much more useful. click the following links to get the appropriate topozone maps, then click "Print This Map" to make paper copies.

Peekamoose, Table, Lone, Rocky
Rocky, Balsam Cap, Friday, Cornell
Southeast of Rocky, Asokan High Point Tr PA in Lower Right

If you want durable waterproof custom maps of this area, they can be ordered from Topozone.

I may be interested in joining you on this one.

Tony

Much of the private land south of Lone and Rocky is the former Wentworth Estate (a.k.a. Peekamoose Fishing Club) which is currently owned by Howard Pack, West Shokan, NY. He is in the phone book, and you can find his number via http://www.anywho.com/ or other online phone books. I know several hikers who have tried to get permission to hike there, but they have all been denied access.

A long, southern, state land route that starts near Breath Hill was described in this post in the Rocky/Lone thread. I have not tried this route, but it sounds very interesting. The start of the old wood road is shown on the NY/NJ Trail Conference map #43. The old road is easy to spot at the top of a hill on Peekamoose Road (southwest of the Ashokan High Point trailhead mentioned by Jay).

Last edited:
Sounds like a good trip. I'll be doing Lone, Rocky, BC and Friday this week from Denning. A bit different than your route but I'll let you know what I've come across.