Long Island

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
This paddle park thing is great!

What's your favorite spot to paddle around Long Island?

I explored Jessup's Neck this past summer and it was paradise. There's certainly no shortage of Ospreys and I even saw an oystercather. The Peconic bays are beautiful (for Long Island that is). Would like to know of some other "exotic" places on the island to paddle (via canoe). Been on the Carman's, Peconic and Nissequogue. Anyone know of any other "wild" rivers to explore here? Bay's, estuaries, inlets, etc...?

;)

The only place I've paddled in Long Island was Fire Island National Seashore from Smith Point Park. Warren and I surf launched into the ocean side and paddled west towards Robert Moses and camped on the secondary dunes (permit needed). Don't get the bay life like you get on the LI Sound but the surf was fun to play around in. There is a lot of deer there and supposedly a lot of deer ticks so precaution is needed..

Jay

I don't know Long Island, but if you care to invest in the AMC Quiet Water Canoe Guide: New York, it includes maybe half a dozen places in LI. Salt marshes, estuaries, bays, etc. It also has lots of great stuff in the Adirondacks and throughout the state. You might be able to find it in your local library system as well.

Matt