Long Lake summer camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob m

Reaction score
I'm planning a kayak trip in late July on Long Lake. Can anyone give me an idea as to what conditions are like at the campsites along the northern part of the lake in mid-week?
Thanks,
bob m.

They can tend to fill up even mid week during the summer but there are enough options that moving onto the next available site is doable. When we were on our NPT thru-hike, we were there midweek and had the run of the place until a large curch group on a canoe trip came through . . . we gave them our space and moved a bit further away since there were 2 of us and many of them. They were very thankful to us and we were happy to give them their space. The space will be an issue depending on the weather . . .

sli74

sli74 said:
They can tend to fill up even mid week during the summer but there are enough options that moving onto the next available site is doable.
sli74
Ah, wilderness... I had a feeling that was the case. There is a large group of lean-tos right at the outlet of the lake. Were you anywhere near there?

I think Sli has hit it right on the nose. I grew up in Long Lake and that's a very busy lake in the summer. Alot of canoes and Kayaks. The town population doubles for those months. But during the week you'll have a better, mind you not a concrete chance or get a place early in the morning, before the fog clears from the lake.

If you continue onto the racquette river a short distance from the north end of the lake, then upstream on the cold river there are lean tos in this area that get a little less traffic. This spot makes a nice base camp for exploring the cold river up to NLP trail crossing. You may have to do some walking during dry conditions. You can also paddle up and down the racquette to the falls. There are smaller streams worth checking out, although you may need to pull over some beaver dams.