Long Path X

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
LONG PATH X
CAMPBELL HALL RR STATION to
BULLVILLE, NY (JCT. NY 302 & NY 17K)
SUNDAY, MARCH 9, 2008

WEATHER: Sunny, windy 30s.
PHOTO ALBUM LINK: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/563031371rpSOue
PARTICIPANTS: Aaron, Russ, Bill, Cindy & Joe
MILES ACTUAL TIME & ALTIMETER READING
0.0 Start of Hike – Campbell Hall RR Station 10:55 AM 380
0.3 Jct. Watkins Road & Egberton Road – make right 11:00 AM 380
1.1 Jct. NY 207 & Stony Ford Road – make right 11:15 AM 360
2.1 Cross Wallkill River 11:35 AM 350
3.3 Railroad underpass 11:55 AM 360
3.6 Left turn at end of guard rail off of O’Hare Road 12:00 Noon 400
3.9 Right turn on Hidden Drive 12:20 PM 380
4.1 Cross NY 211 12:25 PM 430
4.3 make right just inside woods 12:35 PM 470
5.3 cut thru stone wall 1:10 PM 630
5.6 Turn right onto Camp Orange Road 1:20 PM 550
6.3 Reach intersection – large oak tree & stone walls 1:35 PM 530
6.6 small lake on left – lunch 1:45 – 2:15 550
8.2 Make left out of woods onto Tamms Road 3:20 PM 640
8.9 Cross Scotchtown Road – continue on King Road 3:35 PM 480
10.5 Left on Union School Road 4:05 PM 610
10.9 Bear right on Lybolt Road 4:15 PM 510
11.5 Town of Crawford Park 4:25 PM 530
12.1 End of Hike – Bullville, NY – Jct. NY 302 & NY 17K 4:40 PM 520

Total elevation gain accumulation: 1280 feet.
LP XI: Scheduled for Winter 2009

This was the tenth in a series of 40 hikes on the Long Path which has taken us over one hundred miles (103.75) along this trail from New York City to Bullville in the northern portion of Orange County. On this hike we were five hikers. We had a pleasant day.

Our group consisted of Russ, Cindy and myself who have gone on most of the Long Path sections that I have led and started when we did our inaugural LP I back on March 1, 2003. Bill has joined us now for the last four sections, VII-X. I was happy to have Bill join us as he is just now starting to hike again after a year’s absence due to a foot injury. By the end of the hike Bill was hurting and I hope he did not over do it. But I know he wants to continue to hike the Long Path and these sections are hard to get other people to join and set up car shuttles, so he was determined to join us. His walking sticks (only hiker in the group with them today) significantly aided him in his walking and balance on the ice.

A new first timer joining us on our Long Path adventures was Joe, who has hiked with me on my first AMC Shawangunk Ridge hike last fall.

This was a fairly long segment of the Long Path that we hiked. The hike was broken up into thirds as we road walked for the first 3.6 and last 3.9 miles. The middle section was a pleasant trail hike thru the undeveloped Highland Lakes State Park north of Middletown, NY. The trail was adequately marked for the most part. However, it is very important that you pay close attention to the markers in the park as the area is criss-crossed with many other trails and old wood roads that you can easily wander on to like we did once. Even though we had a warm weather week preceding the hike, I was surprised at the significant ice that we experienced on the trail in the park. With the heavy rains and flooding that we had just yesterday, I never expected the incredible amount of icy trail we had to negotiate. I stupidly announced that boot traction devices (ie. Stabilicers) would not be necessary. Russ brought his anyway and used them. In one place I slipped and fell flat on my back. In spots the trail was treacherous. Fortunately it was mostly flat, so we did not have to worry about falling down a hillside.

The group was quite compatible as we kept up a steady, fast pace along the roads. We went along at a brisk, fast pace and completed the road walks at a 3 mph plus rate. Although I mentioned the ice which was an impediment for hiking the Long Path in the park, the most significant factor affecting the hike was the flooding. Before we ever got started, while driving from Bullville (the end point) to Campbell Hall (our starting point), on NY 416, the route I was driving for the car shuttle was closed. So we had to use an alternate route. There were several places where flooding went right up to the road surface. The route was passable but it gave us some doubts about whether the trail would be.

At 3.6 miles the Long Path leaves O’Hare Road and crosses a field. Besides being virtually unmarked through here to where it reaches Hidden Drive, it was flooded. We wound up back on O’ Hare Road climbing the abutment between the two directions of Interstate 84, squeezing under a fence (Bill climbed over it) and crossing the westbound lanes before eventually getting over to Hidden Drive.

Then in the park the trail was immersed in water in several places where we had to take minor detours to avoid the flooded trail. In one case rather than bushwack thru brambles I chose to follow the trail and my right foot and boot became immersed with ice water. It took several miles of road walking before the boot and foot somewhat dried out.

It was quite wet and a slow go in the park but even with an enjoyable lunch stop and all the detours due to flooding and icy stretches it took us 3:20 to hike the 4.6 miles of trail stretch. I actually was quite impressed with this quiet preserve called Highland Lakes State Park that provided the Long Path with four miles of woodland hiking trail and when we went, peaceful solitude so close to suburbia and the humdrum of Middletown, NY. Our lunch stop was the highlight of the hike as it was a pretty tarn in a pocket of hills in the middle of the park. We had the place to ourselves. The sun was shining on this nice grassy peninsula that stuck out into this unnamed pond that was solidly ice covered. I got a board and placed it over the wet edge of the water and I walked out onto the ice which easily supported my weight. Other scenic views that we enjoyed included views back towards Schunnemunk Mountain and beautiful panoramic views ahead of the Shawangunk range from the country roads we were following towards the end of the hike. These roads were quite pleasant to walk along and for the most part quiet and not heavily traveled. The flooded scenes of the Wallkill River were also quite impressive to view. We also saw horses on farms, geese floating on water and a herd of deer in the park.

Make sure when viewing the linked photo album to scroll down the pictures to see the captions. While viewing the Webshots album, feel free to view LP Albums I - IX as well. It is quite a pictorial of the first hundred miles of the Long Path and the groups that have joined me. You can also e-mail me for the hike reports for LP I - IX.