Long Sleeve Shirts: Heat, Bugs, Humidity?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave.m

Reaction score
A recent valley trip into the Pemi has underscored my need to rethink my use of short sleeved polyester shirts.

The cool kids are wearing sun hoodies (poly or a wool blend). For the PCT? Sure. For New England? I'm skeptical but open.

Some are wearing long sleeve fishing style Sun shirts (nylon or poly usually with yoke vents). That just doesn't appeal to me for sweat hog climbs in humid conditions.

Considering repurposing a full zip short sleeved cycling shirt combined with a bug shirt.

But wondering what others are using that they can tolerate.

I started wearing an OR Echo Hoodie in 2016 when I got Lyme disease and had to avoid the sun due to side effects of antiobiotics. I went out on a sweltering July afternoon (about 95 deg F) and walked a couple of miles in direct sun with the hood on and it really isn't bad at all. I wear it all the time now as a light layer on slightly cool mornings and in the trees when I'm not in sun. I treat it with Permithrin each Spring and find that it works quite well. Much better than slathering yourself in repellent. It's one of my "always have" items in the pack for most of the year.

I also have "fishing" style rashes and personally don't think they breathe nearly as well when working (i.e. climbing mountains).

I switched from a poly short sleeve to a thin UPF columbia vented poly button up a few years back and love it. The sleeves have those keeper straps so you can roll them up and they stay there, you can unbutton the front while working, and pop the collar for sun protection on your neck. Permethrin once a month has historically worked for me but this year has been a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:
I have been using a Columbia “fishing” shirt for several years over my poly t shirt. I usually start wearing it from the trailhead in the morning. Depending on the bugs and temperature I may take it off mid morning.

I wear long pants and a long sleeved silkweight synthetic shirt all the time, when it’s hot it’s hot whether I’m in shorts or not. My short sleeve baselayer shirts are for winter LOL. Long pants/sleeves keep the sun off you and create a microclimate next to your skin that controls sweat evaporation and lets it cool you the way it’s supposed to. Sweat that’s dripping off you doesn’t cool at all.

I'm curious. I have found that the bugs bite right through the lightweight synthetics.

I started wearing an OR Echo Hoodie in 2016 when I got Lyme disease and had to avoid the sun due to side effects of antiobiotics. I went out on a sweltering July afternoon (about 95 deg F) and walked a couple of miles in direct sun with the hood on and it really isn't bad at all. I wear it all the time now as a light layer on slightly cool mornings and in the trees when I'm not in sun. I treat it with Permithrin each Spring and find that it works quite well. Much better than slathering yourself in repellent. It's one of my "always have" items in the pack for most of the year.

I also have "fishing" style rashes and personally don't think they breathe nearly as well when working (i.e. climbing mountains).

I can easily imagine that a sun hoodie would work in hot direct sun in dry heat conditions like I saw when I lived in California. The sun helps drive the evaporation off of the fabric as you sweat.

But how are they to wear in the hot, humid shade when hiking? I'm concerned about them not breathing well enough and wondering if something with a deep front zipper is needed?

I switched from a poly short sleeve to a thin UPF columbia vented poly button up a few years back and love it.
Do the Columbia shirts have any stretch to them and if not, do you find they bind up on you when soaked with sweat? That's been my experience with the fabrics I associate with button up shirts I'm familiar with.

Also, have you had any problems with nipple chafing with the Columbia shirts? Some cycling shirts I've had and sometimes with cotton button up shirts, I find my nipples can get irritated. T-shirt type weaves tend not to do this for me.

Hence the permethrin.

I use permethrin on shoes, socks, gaiters, and pants for ticks and it works amazingly well.

But I've not used it on hats, jackets and shirts for mosquitos and black flies. Do you really find it keeps mosquitos and black flies from biting (or at least helps minimize it)?

I use permethrin on shoes, socks, gaiters, and pants for ticks and it works amazingly well.

But I've not used it on hats, jackets and shirts for mosquitos and black flies. Do you really find it keeps mosquitos and black flies from biting (or at least helps minimize it)?

I've had nothing but positive experiences with permethrin, I treat everything with it. Bugs may swarm but they generally don't land or bite. This year the midges have been a nuisance, though.

Do the Columbia shirts have any stretch to them and if not, do you find they bind up on you when soaked with sweat? That's been my experience with the fabrics I associate with button up shirts I'm familiar with.

Also, have you had any problems with nipple chafing with the Columbia shirts? Some cycling shirts I've had and sometimes with cotton button up shirts, I find my nipples can get irritated. T-shirt type weaves tend not to do this for me.

I'm not sure my Columbia one stretches but I know my REI one does. However, the Columbia one is much lighter and more breathable. I'm not sure if binding is an issue that I've ever taken note of. If it happens it hasn't been bad enough to leave an impression.

I have sun hoodies from columbia, huk, and Eddie Bauer, all originally purchased for fishing & beachwear but adopted for hiking and camping, and regularly treated with permethrin. They all stretch, and breathe to varying degrees depending on material/weave. I sweat through them pretty quick (as I do with any shirt in any season) but don't find them any more cumbersome/uncomfortable than short sleeves. Many of them are designed (well, marketed) to be cooling even in humid conditions, and relative to cotton or wool that's certainly true fwiw.

I constantly struggle with nipple chafing (including in t-shirts) and here again results vary; the huk shirts are the lightest/coolest wearing among the ones I have, but also the harshest on my nips. I don't think that's an issue I'll ever be able to fully avoid, and just manage it with covering or lube at this point.

I far prefer them to button-ups for multiple reasons (hood option, no gaps for bugs, less constricting). I hike too hot to wear pants for long in temps above ~50F.

I’ve been wearing a Stio long sleeve button up. Fairly fit cut, but not binding. SPF 50 and has a little stretch. Can roll up or down the sleeves and open up the front or button it up as needed. Versatile, and in a stylish plaid, if I say so myself.

I almost never wear short sleeves having had melanoma enough to require surgery. I vary from LS quarter zips to sun hoodies. I have a very light loose fitting under armor 1/4 zip that works well in summer. I recently found a sun hoody at a thrift store with good results especially on water or long exposed ridges.

I can easily imagine that a sun hoodie would work in hot direct sun in dry heat conditions like I saw when I lived in California. The sun helps drive the evaporation off of the fabric as you sweat.

But how are they to wear in the hot, humid shade when hiking? I'm concerned about them not breathing well enough and wondering if something with a deep front zipper is needed?
I find it breathes reasonably well. I wear it in the trees all the time on aggressive hikes. Much like any other shirt it gets wet but the fabric is so light it really doesn't bother me.

I tried an OR sun hoodie and found it to be way too hot, I went back to a short sleeve shirt. I wear shorts and short sleeves in the hot weather, I use a head net and Deet, I never feel over come by bugs. P.S. the hoodie is way too big for me (I lost weight) it's a large, but it fits big, anybody on this site want it, it's yours, paid decent money and it's a fine product, just not for me. I live Goffstown or I'll mail it to you if you want, just pm me.

A recent valley trip into the Pemi has underscored my need to rethink my use of short sleeved polyester shirts.

The cool kids are wearing sun hoodies (poly or a wool blend). For the PCT? Sure. For New England? I'm skeptical but open.

Some are wearing long sleeve fishing style Sun shirts (nylon or poly usually with yoke vents). That just doesn't appeal to me for sweat hog climbs in humid conditions.

Considering repurposing a full zip short sleeved cycling shirt combined with a bug shirt.

But wondering what others are using that they can tolerate.

Dave, is it the bugs, the sun, or both that is causing you to rethink your use of short-sleeves?

I've found the Columbia Silver Ridge, made with "Titanium," "Omni-Dry" nylon, to be mediocre in terms of wicking and breathability—it will get soaked on a hot, humid day and takes considerbly longer to dry than a wicking t-shirt—but it is effective at preventing bug bites and is exceptionally durable, making it outstanding armor for bushwhacking. When the bugs are at their worst or I'm bushwhacking through denser vegetation, a silk-weight, wicking t-shirt under the Columbia Silver Ridge is my standard. I have not found the Columbia to bind when wet.

Dave, is it the bugs, the sun, or both that is causing you to rethink your use of short-sleeves?

I've found the Columbia Silver Ridge, made with "Titanium," "Omni-Dry" nylon, to be mediocre in terms of wicking and breathability—it will get soaked on a hot, humid day and takes considerbly longer to dry than a wicking t-shirt—but it is effective at preventing bug bites and is exceptionally durable, making it outstanding armor for bushwhacking. When the bugs are at their worst or I'm bushwhacking through denser vegetation, a silk-weight, wicking t-shirt under the Columbia Silver Ridge is my standard. I have not found the Columbia to bind when wet.

This is a super helpful question.

It's the bugs. 100%, it's the bugs. And a teeny bit, bushwhacking.

But it's not at all about sun protection.

Moving to a lightweight sleeveless combined with a long sleeve something might be the trick. Would certainly solve the chaffing issue I have with button shirts worn next to skin.

I have an OR Ferrosi that is more comfortable next to skin than my Pertex cycling jacket, but it's heavier too.

Hot, humid and buggy are full-suck conditions. Need to think about weights of the Columbia shirts.

Hiking I'm sweating too much at this time of year for anything but shorts, short sleeves and Deet and Sun screen if needed. I do most of my paddling though in a lightweight long sleeve Columbia shirt.