Long Trail: Rte 108 north to Rte 15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
My friend Neil (hikeswithkat--I believe) and I have been leading a series of weekend section hikes with the AMC over the past couple of years, and on Saturday, November 9, 2013, we hiked our final section, from Rte 108 in Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, up to Rte. 15.

Smuggler's Notch was closed to traffic, and it was very icy. The trailhead north is not obvious if you haven't been there before. One walks into a picnic area with tables and little stone fireplaces scattered about, and there is an outhouse building. The trail sign is somewhat hidden down the hill on the other side of the bathroom building. While there was no snow on the Rte 15 side where we spotted a car, Smuggler's Notch had snow and ice on the ground, and we could gear the snow machines hard at work on the slopes across from us.

There is a stream crossing immediately at the start. It was not high, but not causal either. I am somewhat surprised there isn't a small bridge there. The trail ascends gently, and we quickly put on microspikes and kept them on for the rest of the day until we passed the final shelter heading out. The trail is generally in good condition, although it would benefit from more blazes and fresh paint on the existing ones. Fortunately, there were tracks ahead of us from some recent hikers, and without them, we would have struggled in parts getting up to the ridge line.

We talked that we wouldn't see anyone else that day, but wrong we were! Just prior to reaching the ski slopes, we encountered three young gents through hiking southward! Given Sunday's forecast of rain and snow, getting over Mansfield and Camel's Hump could be interesting. We later were passed by a group of young hikers from Burlington also heading north. One was wearing Five Fingers running shoes, and handled the trail remarkably well in them, although since they were camping at one of the shelters, I suspect his feet were cold that night, if not while on the trail.

The trail is in generally good condition, although there were a number of blowdowns in the northernmost six miles, and again, while the northern end had new blazes, the entire stretch could benefit from more of them. We managed to get out before dark, and once one is on the dirt road, it's an easy walk, but now that winter is approaching and it's getting dark early, there were stretches where we knew where to go because we could see the foot tracks made by the three coming the other way, but had it been dark and we were moving by headlamps without the benefit of tracks on the trail, there were numerous spots where we could been left in a rather bad spot due to the lack of blazes.

Hiking the Long Trail has been wonderful, and if you haven't tried it yet, it makes for a fun adventure. It's very wet, most of the time, and you have to enjoy the company you are with, because large chunks of it are viewless hikes through the woods, but if the Whites are starting to feel a bit too familiar, do give the LT a try.

All the best,

Brian

Last edited:
Nice!
I agree, there are several sections in this area that need reblazing and/or a few more. The section up & over Whiteface is really poor and in deep snow, extremely easy to lose the trail!
On the same day as your hike I too was on the Long Trail- from Nebraska Notch to the summit of Mansfield and down to Smugglers Notch. I have the same issue... around Taylor Lodge the blazing is good and new, but the large 3.5 mile section to Butler Lodge the blazing is old and often insufficient (easy to lose the trail in snow!). LT from Taft Lodge to Smugglers Notch is well blazed.
I like the blazing system both in the Whites & Daks- a hiker should be able to see one blaze to the next...

Congrats on finishing the LT! Takes a lot of planning and dedication to keep at it, doing sections over a couple of years.

Congratulations on wrapping up the Long Trail over a number of years. I haven't done the whole thing, but the section from 108 to Whiteface is one of my favorites (so far).

I'll go against the grain and say that I enjoy the (lack of) blazing on the LT. I think the Whites are overdone, but the LT still has a remnant of wilderness to it, in that it doesn't hold your hand the whole way. One of my most enjoyable days outside ever was a 'short' winter hike from Middlebury Gap, which turned into an all-day bushwhacking, route-finding, trail-breaking adventure. It was much more satisfying than walking a packed-out trail with ample blazes. :)

Hiking the Long Trail has been wonderful, and if you haven't tried it yet, it makes for a fun adventure. It's very wet, most of the time, and you have to enjoy the company you are with, because large chunks of it are viewless hikes through the woods, but if the Whites are starting to feel a bit too familiar, do give the LT a try.

Brian-- Congrats on finishing up the Long Trail!. I did the 40 stretch from RT 15 to Rt 2 in late September, solo so the company was fine. Wet is definitely the word for the LT, much more so than the whites. There was ice falling off the trees when I went over Whiteface and the trail was almost a consistent 2 inch stream on both sides of that mountain. I agree though that the Long Trail provides a nice, wilder alternative to the whites. There are some longer stretches without road crossing. Thanks for sharing your reports on it over the past couple of years.