Looking for 3-Season jacket

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerksGTI

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here. I've been lurking about for a while and finally came up with a question I need some help with. I used to hike alot when I was a kid, and I've recently jumped back into it.

I'm trying to figure out a way to keep pack weight and space down, and I'm trying to find the best solution for my extra layers. Ideally, I'm trying to find a jacket that can take care of wind and rain, and I was also looking for an extra warming layer for when things start to cool down.

Do you think I should get some kind of jacket with a removable shell? Or should I go with separate layers, like maybe some kind of fleece and a wind/rain jacket? Are there any types of fabrics or materials that I should look into? Any brand or models you would recommend?

Sorry for all the questions that have probably been asked before. There seems to be a lot of options out there and I'm just trying to find the best one before I start spending money on the wrongs things.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Andrew

look no futher!! marmot precip - light as heck and you can use this in the winter as well.

get decent fleece fleece (rei or ems brands a bit cheaper and north face, etc,) - and you will be good to go.

you can get these removable fleeces and all that crap - but this stuff can be layered easily

100 or 200 weight fleece and the precip and you will be loving life.

I agree with Giggy. I use a non Goretex breathable shell for 4 season use. Its so much lighter, although Goretex has their paclite stuff now.

I've tried the softshell route but have been unhappy with it for tight trail travel. I find if it has rained or in winter with the snow on the trees as I brush up against the trees I just get soaked.

100/200 fleece and I'm a happy camper. Makes a good pillow too.

-Shayne

I love my Marmot Precip

Can't beat it for rain and for cooler/damp conditions. The pit zips are awesome. I use a Sierra Designs windstopper fleece under it in really cold weather. They are both really comfortable to backpack in, both have either pit zips or corevent zips to keep the ventilation going.

My only complaint with the fabric of the Marmot is that it gets dirty easily and doesn't come clean. I've tried Techwash and other stuff that is supposed to be safe for it but it bears the permadirt of many backpacking trips and its looking pretty grubby these days.

Sorry to derail this, but if anyone can suggest a cleaner?

Another less expensive idea would be to use a down vest under your rain/wind jacket. I have used that combination several times winter hiking. I have found that fleece sleeves is usually all I need under the shell.