Looking for a backpack shoulder strap vertical mounted camera case

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for a shoulder strap carrier for my Canon A70. Something like Mountainsmith would be good, although the small does not quite close, and the medium does not mount vertically (think velcro arms to hug your shoulder strap.) The S and XS have the vertical mount, and the M and L are belt mount.

I don't want a sternum strap mount because A) it bounces around too much B) I will sweat all over it and C) I tried one once and got a heat rash or something under the area where the camera was being carried.

Recommendations?

Thanks,
Tim

I use a LowePro case to carry my G3, but I do so on my Sternum strap. I don't mind the sweat and I always hike with a shirt on so no rash... I don't know of such a beast to be able to use it with the shoulder strap but perhaps you could fabricate a thick velcro strap to wrap around the vertical velcro loop to convert it for use with a vertical strap, such as the shoulder strap.... You might be able to find thick strong velcro in a good fabric store or perhaps a local camping supply.. I know Campmor local sells velcro loops and stuff.

Jay

Doug,

Would this case wrap around the shoulder strap and still keep the camera "entrance" pointing towards the sky?

As for the rash, the only thing different about this particular day was wearing the camera on the sternum strap. From that I can make a strong inference that it caused a rash. It tended to slide to the middle, and thus in the path of the sweat pouring off my head, so it really needs to stay high on my chest on the shoulder strap.

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
Doug,
Would this case wrap around the shoulder strap and still keep the camera "entrance" pointing towards the sky?
If you threaded a shoulder strap though the belt loop on the case, it would open to the side. You could also lash the case to the shoulder strap with a strap, in which case it would open upward.

The case also has two D-rings to attach a strap so you can carry it rock-climber rack style.

Doug

Ugh. Too complicated. Easy on, easy off, opening looking skyward. The Mountainsmith was perfect except it is about 1/2" too short. The med and large versions are belt loop mounts :(

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
Ugh. Too complicated. Easy on, easy off, opening looking skyward. The Mountainsmith was perfect except it is about 1/2" too short. The med and large versions are belt loop mounts :(
The "complicated" attachment could be accomplished with a short buckle strap around the pack strap. You could put it just above the end of the sternum strap to prevent it from sliding down. (This is very similar to how I carry a GPS.)

I like the belt mount myself. Simple, easy to access. You can slide it around to the side if you need to high-step. And if it is in the way (eg bushwacking) or it is raining, I simply pop it off and throw it in my pack.

Mine is a LowePro Z 10. http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Camera_Pouches/classic/Z_10.aspx.
Zipper closure, includes a pocket that is a good size for carrying a spare CF card.

Doug

I use a medium sized sony camera case that I got at target for around $15. It has a narrow (about one inch) belt loop that also has a snap type closure at the bottom of the loop. This makes it easy to attach to the the shoulder strap of my pack. Unsnap, thread through the convenient plastic ring Kelty put on the pack strap, snap it back together. This way it mounts vertically (no chance of the camera falling out) and out of the way. I don't entirely trust the snap closure so I also use one of those small keychain type carabiners to clip the case to the plastic ring on my shoulder strap. I just did a crappy job of explaining it. I'll send you pics of my setup if you want. It took me awhile to find a case that would mount vertically. I was looking at the same mountainsmith case you were, but had the same problem with the wide belt loop. The sony case is the only one I found with a narrow belt loop that could be detached and resecured to mount somewhere besides my belt (which I don't usually wear when hiking).

I use a medium size carabiner through one of the loops on the shoulder strap and hang my Lowepro Rezo 50 case from it. It has a vertical strap closure with velcro. I can open it to slip it through the biner and then close it. It is secure. It would also attach to a belt in the same manner.

Do the carabiner solutions bounce around? My shoulder strap has a pair of rather weak loops, intended to hold the hydration tube. We tried, at EMS, using it to hold a camera case and it shows signs of the elastic being destroyed.

I'm not a fan of things bouncing around while hiking or climbing.

Yes, I am being picky here... ;)

Tim

The loops on my shoulder straps are pretty tight and solid. I would be concerned if they weren't. Bouncing around hasn't been a problem.

I carry my GPS in a Jansport pack pocket which simply velcros around the pack shoulder strap. It is tight enough that it does not generally slide down or I can put it just above the sternum strap. Something similar to this might work.

It appears that the Jansport pack pocket may have been discontinued. (REI stopped carrying it somewhere near the beginning of this year.)

IMO, just hanging a camera (with or without a case) off a carabiner hanging off a pack is likely to bounce around. It would also be hard to get the camera in and out with one hand (something that I can do with my belt-mounted case).

Also some pack shoulder straps have a piece of webbing down the front of the strap with frequent attachments to the underlying strap. (A bit like a climber's daisy chain.) It should be fairly easy to attach to such a strap. This may be what peakn was referring to.

Doug

Last edited:
I remembered seeing this: GG Shoulder Strap Pocket while wasting time at work the other day. Not sure if it would fit your camera or not, but worth a look.

I use a Lowepro Z10 for my crappy Gateway digital camera, it sits on my pack belt.

Last time I hiked Algonquin, I borrowed a camera from work with a bigger case (similar to this one, anyway) that was wide enough to attach between my shoulder straps on the d-rings with a couple of carabiners. I don't like things bouncing around at all, and this arrangement actually worked out very well. Plus I used one of the pockets to hold the Kestrel 3500 in.

I'll have to take the camera to some place other than EMS in Concord, I guess. Both Doug and JBrown's suggestions might well work, it's just a matter of does it hold the camera.

Tim