Looking for a softshell

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Finding a softshell under $200 has been a challenge. Mountain Hardwear and OR used to make models that fit the bill. Now, they are big bucks or super thin stretchy fabric that are more appropriate as rain gear. Earlier this year I sent my 15 year old Mountain Hardware back under warranty to fix failing zippers. It had pit zips and some micro fleece lining but they said they no longer made something comparable.

It is going to be tough in that price range these days. I have a Mammut softshell which is the predecessor of the current model with Gore Infinium fabric (previously it was called Windstopper). Men’s Ultimate VII SO Hooded jacket.

Joe, looking to replace my wife's. She doesn't need a super duper one, but a shell that will keep her warm for a few hours out with our dog on the windy golf course.

It is going to be tough in that price range these days. I have a Mammut softshell which is the predecessor of the current model with Gore Infinium fabric (previously it was called Windstopper). Men’s Ultimate VII SO Hooded jacket.
H-U-G-E fan of Gore Tex Infinium (and Mammut's use of it). I would also say I don't find it to be the same as the old Windstopper fabric, of which I have had several items. It is much thinner, lighter and more effective in my opinion. Not sure what the technical difference is. But you won't find a sub $200 option with that stuff.

The Mammut Ultimate key difference is pit zips, not common all on soft shells, but they do tend to open all the way down...

My favorite no longer made soft shell was made by MEC, the ferratta I think, the MEC Borderland Hooded Jacket seems to be close to that jacket and is under $200. For that sort of around town soft shell I've preferred windproof fleece, favoring an LL Bean hoody windproof fleece hoody which I think is no longer made. That said, Mountain Hardware is bringing back some their older designs, including their classic windproof fleece jacket which some consider to be one of the early soft shells.