Softshell conclusion-years later

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Bumped/Not New Thread)

Since we're talking winter, I thought I'd bump this thread. Steep and Cheap just had a Polartec fleece/softshell offered. Is there any reason to believe THIS Polartec is actually breathable, or do we have to assume it's the same false claiming material of a few years ago ?

"Features:
Material: Polartec Power Shield softshell
Waterproof Rating: Highly water-resistant
Breathable Rating: Extremely breathable "

...Is there any reason to believe THIS Polartec is actually breathable, or do we have to assume it's the same false claiming material of a few years ago ?

I have a pair pants made entirely with Power Shield.

They soak up water like a sponge, breath as well as an asthmatic and are heavy as hell.

Other than that, I like them pretty good.

How long do these things take to dry if they get really wet?

I had one totally rimed up from a winter hike up Colden during a temperature inversion - ie snowing at the leanto and utter glop on high. Shook the rime off back at the leanto and hung it up. Wore it comfortably the next morning. Sure made me a convert.

I still use the soft shell that I purchased 5 years ago. It's great in late fall/early spring for moderately breezy conditions and in light rain. I use it like a fleece when I need something to keep our the wind while it's not pouring rain. It definitely doesnt replace the need to have a fully waterproof shell though. I'd say it's worth the weight, especially in the fall.

if I had to choose between polartec powershield and gore softshell fabric, what should I choose? I've heard very good things about the powershield (except for Craig up there) in most reviews.

Last edited:
if I had to choose between polartec powershield and gore softshell fabric, what should I choose? I've heard very good things about the powershield (except for Craig up there) in most reviews.

I'm afraid most of the very good things you've read about the powershield fabric may have been written by the Polartec PR department.

I'd definately avoid the Polartec, owning one, but I am not familiar with the Gore softshell fabric. My softshell jacket is the Mammut Laser (Schoeller WB-400 NanoSphere Dryskin Extreme ! :rolleyes:) which is a mouth full, but is very good material. Well tested. Very happy. This jacket and a capilene shirt is great to hike with in temps between 0 and 20 degrees.

Last edited:
I'll put a plug in for the LL Bean trail model soft shell. Been using it a couple years now and love it. Even went and bought the matching soft shell ski pants for general winter trekking and they too have proven their worth. And the price is very nice too (I paid $70 IIRC, 2 years ago)

Brian

I have 2 Columbia jackets I got used which have tags saying they are "waterproof breathable". They are about as breathable as a nylon shell and as waterproof as a cotton towel. Maybe they were better when new but if you keep your stuff awhile you might wonder.