Ideal Midlayers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
I've always been pleased with the comfort of my baselayer and outer layer selections-it's the mid layers for cold weather hiking that never seem ideal for me.

For a cold-weather baselayer, I've always been pleased with the wicking of a lightweight Polartec Power Dry or Power Stretch base.A rain hardshell like a Marmot Precip stays in my pack in case of rain but is rarely used except for windy summit stops. My favorite hiking wind barrier is no longer a heavy softshell, but an ultralight Montane brand wind jacket. Only worn if windy. A puffy 800 fill down jacket also stays in the pack, worn as needed during rests. Too hot for activity.

Now for the mid-layers. Over the years, I've tried numerous Polartec midlayers when tempertures required, including 100, 200,300, Thermal Pro, everything except the less-breathable wind-proof fleeces. Thye have kept me warm even when damp, but are very bulky to put in the pack when not worn. I've also tried the most recent trend of puffy midlayers such as primaloft jackets. Much more packable than fleece but usually too warm for heavy activity. Plus, their use results in carrying 2 puffys at times since I really want a warmer 800 fill down puffy for emergencies and rests with me.

What do you prefer for midlayers over a base when colder tempertures require one? Fleece, wool, primaloft, down, Marmot wind shirt, etc?

Last edited:
I'm partial to a pullover of about 100w fleece from LL Bean they call "Fitness Fleece". If that's a bit too warm, but I still need something over the base layer, then it's a 200w vest. Neither are too bulky, and you can alternate between the two. If warn together, they're quite warm, like what you may need for the initial descent off the summit after a lunch break.

Edit: I should also add that I'm extremely partial to my Marmot Driclime windshirt, but often find it's a bit too warm when hiking uphill. On the downhill/flats/summit it's terrific. It also packs to almost nothing.

Last edited:
My thinking on this (and I'm sure I'm not alone) is "It Depends" -- there can be many variables, of course. I will carry my 800-fill down puffy when it gets really cold out, but will probably not wear it while hiking. This time of year I wear a light weight long sleeve, zip neck wicking shirt. Then I'll add a fleece vest. For my last three outings, I've tried out my new "treat" from EMS, a down sweater during breaks(http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3933247). Last Sunday I put it on from where the Crawford Path leaves the protection of the trees to the summit of Pierce and it was perfect as I needed some warmth but wouldn't be exercising to the point where I'd overheat with that combination.

On the bottom, I have two pair of light weight wicking "long john" pants which I cut off above the knee for when I'll need a little extra warmth (kind of like a vest for legs), and I have heavier weight bottoms that I haven't cut for when it is colder. Then there are my Goretex outer pants for winter. I've also got a pair of "puffy" primaloft pants for colder "rests" that would be overkill for exercising in.

I use/have used wool, fleece, (thin) primaloft (or equivalent polyester fiber), and (thicker) down depending on the era, and my insulation needs of the moment.

I started out (in "the good old days") when wool sweaters and/or shirts were the primary mid-layer and transitioned to pile/fleece when it became available. Fleece is lighter and absorbs less water, but in conditions where you cannot keep your insulation relatively dry I think wool is still a better choice. I view my primaloft jacket as a lighter weight (but much more delicate) replacement for a fleece jacket*. (Haven't tried it wet conditions yet.) My thicker down jackets have only been needed and used when stopped for extended periods in winter.

* The primaloft jacket doesn't breath as well as the fleece--in some ways it appears to be similar to wind-blocking fleece.

Note on baselayers: IMO Merino wool is also better than polyester in damp conditions.

Doug

Last edited:
It also depends for me. My system is generally the same as yours. But generally, I wear a light baselayer. Many times I'll just wear that plus my softshell in temps down to the 20s when it is windy or with precip. But, colder than that and depending on how cold it is and how fast I want to move, I will wear as my midlayer the old style Patagonia expedition weight capilene (they really need to bring that back - anybody else like the old EW cap?), Patagonia R.5, Patagonia R1, or Marmot Driclime.

These pieces tend to be the most versatile. I use to carry a fleece for basecamp, etc. But found I never used it. A puffy is in the pack for belaying, stopping, or at camp, and that has made the fleece redundant. A fleece is more a of a nuisance, ie, stopping, taking off shell, putting on fleece, putting shell back on, etc. With a nice puffy jacket, just throwing that on top of all your layers makes things so much easier without losing any heat.

I still haven't gone one way or the other about baselayers. Sometimes I use wool, and sometimes I use polyester.

Aviarome

I'll wear a short or long seelve baselayer of whatever I have that is clean and then toss a bike jersey on top of that, a raceface (bike jersey) midlayer on top of that and then layer anything fleecy on top for the start when it's cold and if it's real cold, a hardshell on top of everything below.

I'll also use my PI cycling microfleece tights as a baselayer underneath a schoeller fabric softshell pants...

Jay

What one wears is so dependent on one's own metabolism. I dress lighter than most (it should be no secret at this point that I a. run hot and b. generate moisture...)

I have, like Jay, reused bicycle clothing successfully for XC skiing and hiking, and ski clothing for hiking as well.

If I am going up-hill and I am in the trees, I generally have on a single short-sleeve layer, like an EMS techwick shirt. I add the Pearl Izumi ("PI") arm warmers at least to start - it's an instant way to get to a short-sleeve situation (or back to long-sleeves.) I consider the short sleeve used for the majority of the ascent as "expendable", i.e., I plan to change into something dry at treeline or at the summit or whenever the exertion level will decrease considerably, or the exposure to wind will increase significantly.

If I am wearing a softshell, I usually have it over a PI wicking tank top. Anything heavier is usually just too much. Lots of control with the zipper on the softshell.

It has to be really cold (single-digit or less) AND windy to have both a softshell and a hardshell over it. To me the concept of this midlayer is really pretty foreign.

I have used the PI tights on my legs, but that is usually way too much. I wear either EMS nylon zip-off pants or above treeline / really cold, Mountain Hardware full-length pants. Occasionally I may put a nylon Swix ski warm-up pants (windproof) over them.

I can ride my bicycle down to the 30s with the wicking tank, a long-sleeve jersey and windbreaker (plus a thin wool hat.) In the teens I have a neoprene jersey and that alone is plenty warm.

XC skiing is generally between hiking and cycling, but the time between ups and downs is generally pretty short.

HTH,
Tim

Thanks, Tim, for reminding me about arm warmers. What's nice is they can be quickly stowed by running your sternum strap through them!

Thanks, Tim, for reminding me about arm warmers. What's nice is they can be quickly stowed by running your sternum strap through them!

I also just roll them down to my wrists a lot, both on the bike and while hiking. If I am wearing gloves, I kind of roll them onto the gloves even.

Tim

I wear a wool sweater (light or heavy depending on temps) or wool vest or both as midlayers, under a windshell.

I've started carrying both the primaloft and the big down coat for this very reason. I carry few mid-layers (often only one) and a light softshell, and just "layer up" if I get cold. Which mostly happens only while I am stopped.

In a pinch I can wear the primaloft for hiking. And usually (for me anyway) trying to warm up a cold core = no immediate need to worry about breathability.

I can also throw my hardshell over at least one of these if I really need to batten down the hatches.

Someday I will treat myself to primaloft pants for the same reason, to use at rest breaks. With less heat loss from my legs I think I could probably never need more than one light mid-layer.

That will really perfect my system: light, simple, and my stopping layers also double as an emergency sleeping bag.

I also just roll them down to my wrists a lot, both on the bike and while hiking. If I am wearing gloves, I kind of roll them onto the gloves even.

Tim

Ah,,, yes, I have a pair of basic arm warmers and also leg warmers, but usually they don't last long so I generally don't use them too much when cycling. but they are definitely very useful in the tweener season..

Jay

Primaloft

My past primaloft jacket was an ultralight made by REI but discontinued and mine now thrown away from too many tears. It had a fragile pertex exterior that eventually used up a roll of duct tape! At the time, just over $100 and had a hood. The current offerings in that price range from LL Bean, EMS, Northface, etc. have a much tougher shell and thus much heavier, some with pit zips, and seem more ideal out as outer layer but would be very bulky to throw in a pack. Example-EMS Mercury Jacket. If it make sense to carry one of these in lightweight and also my 800 fill down coat, will have to spend more money on one from Patagonia or equivalent.

Last edited:
FWIW, I snagged a nice Mountain Hardwear Compressor jacket on sale mid-winter last year, at a great price. The thing stuffs pretty well for synthetic. I wouldn't bushwhack with it as my outer layer, but it seems rugged enough.

You probably won't find one of any brand cheap now, but later in the winter...

I'm with Tim, run hot, especially uphill.

If it's near zero, I may be in a long sleeve base, either a running shirt or midweight poly, then a fleece button down shirt & then a wind-bloc fleece vest. (the old ones, very similar to today's soft shells)

The vest usually doesn't stay on long & then comes out above treeline.

It's got to be blowing over 30 MPH and the trip has to be out in the open a lot before I break out the shell. (Think Ike & North or Franconia Ridge, Bondcliff or Moosilauke)

For the past two winters I’ve been wearing the Sporthill Zone3 Infuzion Splice top for my midlayer and have never looked back. I wear one and change into another at the summit and it keeps me warm throughout the hike.