lumbar packs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtlukekultv

Reaction score
these little things have been intriguing me lately. it looks like mountainsmith makes some pretty good ones. i would like one that can hold a couple of nalgenes, a pb&j, and maybe an extra layer or two. i certainly wouldn't need anything over 800 cubes. what have your experiences been with these packs?

My Dana Designs pack (I think it's called "The Really Massive," or maybe "Arcflex Terraplane") has one that uses the main pack's detachable hip belt. It worked great, but wasn't very big.

_

Seems like I’ve written this before, but here goes.

I have used a Mountainsmith “Cairn” lumbar pack for a few years now, and find it first rate.

The Cairn has a capacity of 1100 cubic inches, which is enough for a first aid kit, map, compass, notebook, TP, lunch, a sweater, Gore-Tex rain jacket, 35mm camera, extra lens and film, and a couple of water bottles. Mine is fitted with the Mountainsmith “Strapette” shoulder harness accessory, which really distributes the load well, and keeps the pack from sagging.

G.

I have a mountainsmith (about 700cu in.) one that is about 12 yrs old now. It has done a little of everything from hiking to bookbag, carry-on, a bag to bring to a Sox game and for the last few years a diaper bag. It sure looks better then those silly bags that are designed for a baby. Besides the hip belt mine came with a shoulder strap which is a valuable feature IMO.

Make sure it comes with a shoulder harness, as people above have said. Without a shoulder harness, lumbar packs are a poor substitute for a small regular daypack. Any kind of load in them, and they flap and wag around like a heavy tail, unless you have the shoulder strap. No good for running.

I have the Marmot excursion and it's served me well... though I admit I don't use it a heck of a lot these days. I've fit four bottles of water, a small camera, snacks & a map into it and used it when I first hiked up Katahdin. The only reason I don't really use it much these days is that I solo a lot and have to carry more emergency type gear so a small daypack works better for me instead.

-- Ivy

I use one for shorter day hikes in the summer and love them, and I also use a small one which I wear backwards so it is in front of me when I go on longer overnights. This allows me to have quick access to camera, water, and a snack or two without removing my pack. It works very well for me and I'm surprized that more folk haven't done this. Mine are both really no name packs, the bigger one says Tragar and can hold two bottles on the sides in pockets and has two compartments which can hold either more water, a jacket, hat, etc. for warm weather day hikes. The small one also has two compartments, the smaller one holds (gasp) cell phone and asthema inhaler, and the large one has snacks and camera. On the belt I had binoculars and a water bottle holder. Try it, you'll like it.

Unless I'm backpacking, the only pack I use is a lumbar pack. I had an old one from Gander Mountain for 15 years. I just replaced it last year with one form Beans - it actually is listed as a fishing pack but has 3 large pockets and holds lots of stuff. I don not like things on my shoulders so this type of pack works great for me.

I also only use a lumbar pack unless I'm doing a high peak where there is a chance I will need more "stuff". I use 2 large bottles and sometimes pack one of those small gatoraide bottles in my pack just in case. If you have water on the trail I take my filter. I have a large pack from EMS and can fit everything I need (a sandwich, a coupke banana's, a water filer, a first aide kit and even stuff in a wind braker for the rain). I have many pockets in my hiking pants were i can fit power bars, granola bars and trail mix.

I had a Gregory that held 2 - 32oz Nalgenes but that weight made it sag pretty good and bounce around. It's a good idea but if you have to carry a bunch of water then I wouldn't recommend it. It's pretty annoying when it constantly bounces around.

I've been using this one from EMS for over 2 years and really enjoy it. holds enough water and gear for most day hikes. Best of all, I only paid $19 for it on clearance!
Lumbar Pack

I have the 1100 ci Mountainsmith lumbar pack, and have used it for many years for skiing, hiking, cycling and as a carry on when flying. Most recently I used it as a carry on when I flew out to Az., and then used as a day bag when hiking the canyons in and around Sedona. I did not have any problems with it sagging and only used the waist belt. I did find that every time I added or removed something I had to readjust the 4 cinch straps (one upper and lower on each side) but that took maybe a minute when I was forst strapping the pack on.

bobmak said:
I have the 1100 ci Mountainsmith lumbar pack, and have used it for many years for skiing, hiking, cycling and as a carry on when flying. Most recently I used it as a carry on when I flew out to Az., and then used as a day bag when hiking the canyons in and around Sedona. I did not have any problems with it sagging and only used the waist belt. I did find that every time I added or removed something I had to readjust the 4 cinch straps (one upper and lower on each side) but that took maybe a minute when I was forst strapping the pack on.

My recommendation for using a shoulder harness probably derives mainly from the fact I suffer from ample belly - insufficient hips syndrome.

The waist belt really helps distribute the load, and the shoulder harness keeps the whole rig from sliding down. It is no fun walking along, constantly "hitching" things up!

The Mountainsmith waist belt, with its adjusting straps, is superb. I find this pack (the "Cairn") snugs right in and provides lumbar support that makes walking with my "bad" lower back very comfortable. I also find the low-riding pack makes for very natural maneuverability on rougher trails.

G.

I realize my choice has limited "curb appeal", but it has been an inexpensive, well made solution with plenty of storage space. There's enough room in a component system like this for an over-night. I leave off the water bottle as there is enough room in one of those 2 front pouches for water bottles. The other can fit camera, phone, radio, GPS, etc.
I found once I got much more than a first-aid kit and water bottle in a fanny pack, I was constantly struggling with the sagging load.

57486.JPG

Kelty has a nice line of Lumbar packs. I have been using the Kelty Creel. You can get it in the 650 or 800 It has two pouches in the side that hold nalgeny size bottles. It also has a front shovel pouch for storing a light jacket. The inside has a hydration pocket as well as a small ppocket under the lid and a felt pouch for sun glasses. It also comes with a shoulder strap as well as a handle on top. Overall it is great for summer hiking. Fits well.

Kelty also makes the Eagle wich is 1000 cu.

I recently acquired an Arc'teryx Q10 on a special discount from Sierra Trading Post (cost to me with 20 percent discount about $60, o/w presently $76 on sale). This does not have shoulder straps, but a good suspension system with considerable girth adjustability (4"). I've used it on an overnight backpack (I carried a partly filled GoLite Breeze with some light essentials in addition) and several day hikes.

That's not enough use to give any informed opinion on durability (though it appears to have a bombproof construction), but enough to say that I find it comfortable loaded to about ten pounds +/-. The literature says 600 cu -- I measured, and it's 800, approximately.

Towards the mid-afternoon, I find it necessary to readjust the placement every hour or so (a 30-second task) otherwise I get some discomfort (I think a little more fiddling with the suspension would help, or better still, losing a few pounds from my waist). I walked happily for nine hours wearing it yesterday, and I think it is the cat's pyjamas for bushwhacking, as it doesn't catch on branches or low trees. It's also nice to have a dry back in warmer weather.

Hydration-wise, it carries two Nalgenes or 1 L platypus squirt bottles, generally enough water for a day for me. One could combine the lumbar with a hydration pack, I guess, and then be able to just about carry enough for an overnight of tarp camping by using the mesh pockets.

I tried a Mountainsmith lumbar pack a few years ago, but had fairly recently had a back injury, and it hurt to use. It rode differently from this--that was 1100 cu. Nice pack, but it didn't work for me then, and probably would still be problematic today.

reioutlet.com always has a selection of lumbar packs on clearance. I have a couple that I've used for a few years. The best one came from, of all places, a Bass shoe outlet. One big advantage of the two bottle ones come if you have two small children... They can reach up & grab "their" bottle as required.

i also saw the arcteryx q10 on sierra trading post. if i should decide to buy a pack, this looks like the one i would go with. perfect size, two big nalgene pockets, looks awfully nice to me.

luke

I have a 10 year old(er) Mountainsmith- it's a large rectangular thing, with a sort of outside shoveit pocket. Handy for day hikes and city walks and it can comfortably carry a fair amount of weight with the strapets. Certainly useful for day hikes and the newest version of the Complete Walker tells of over nighting out of one.