Lyon Mtn 12/31/29013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Date: new year's eve, 2013
Route: out and back, up via the very well used "old" trail and down via most of the "new" trail.

Road to the actual trailhead is now closed, so add about a mile each way to the hike. Room at Chazy Lake Road for about 4-5 cars, more if you decide to block the gate from snowmobiles which do seemingly go in from there. (don't block their access!)

Barebooted up the road and signed in to the register before going up the old trail. Put on microspikes about 2/3rds the way up when it started getting steeper. Obvious sled tracks from previous hikers but it's was well enough packed to not need snowshoes at all.

Took most of the new trail down, a lot less used but still no need for snowshoes IME. It's not terribly well marked and it sidehills enough that if I was to return, I'd simply take the old trail up and down. There's also some very small PUDs involved in the new trail....

A cold day, was about 5degF when I left the road and never really warmed up much if at all.

I climbed the tower a few landings with my microspikes but didn't go all the way to the cab since there wasn't going to be much views that day...

https://picasaweb.google.com/104827043392670889977/20131231LyonMtn

Jay

Pointless U and Down == PUD! You're showing your NY-centricity :D :)

The whole firetower was covered in rime ice, I wouldn't climb that firetower without microspikes, especially with the missing fencing on the landings...

Jay

Ha, ha, guess I am. LOL

Yeah, the only safe way to ascend many of towers is with some sort of traction. Unfortunately, people are destroying the stair treads in winter with traction devices on many of the towers. On Overlook where I volunteer, we're already discussing what and when to replace steps. Ideally, metal grid steps would work and could take the crampons and Microspikes, but are expensive. Presents a real problem - close off the tower in winter and deny a view or protect the tower?

Pointless U and Down == PUD! You're showing your NY-centricity :D :)

The whole firetower was covered in rime ice, I wouldn't climb that firetower without microspikes, especially with the missing fencing on the landings...

Jay

Maybe consider asphalt shingles or something rougher shingles nailed to the boards, this provides a level of protection that is replaceable and not metal (attracts ice)... Maybe something better than asphalt shingles (I'm not sure how tough asphalt shingles would be, ask a roofer) but something similar would work...

Jay

Jay, that's an interesting idea. Not sure how long the shingles would hold up to the hundreds of people wearing crampons or Microspikes though. Once sections of shingles would tear free, there would likely be gaps and a tripping hazard.

Having seen the damage, options range from posting a large sign at the bottom to explain the affect of traction devices and asking people to take off spikes and refrain from climbing the tower if stairs are icy( probably ignored by 75%). Closing off the stairs( wildly unpopular), replacing the treads, or replacing with metal grating.
None of these are good options but perhaps explaining the damage being done might dissuade the responsible.

Doesn't have to be shingles, I suspect they wont last long but you get the idea. Something that is durable in the cold and replaceable or at least easier than the wooden rungs... Maybe a metal mesh above the wood?

Jay