Madison the AT dog finishes the 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
Congratulations to Madison the chocolate lab who several years ago did an AT through hike with her owner hikrgrl who has now completed an all season round of the NH 48.

On Feb. 25, 2006 Duffy and I were doing the Osceolas when we came on a group that seemed to be stuck on the East Osceola slide. As I remember, and it was a while ago, they were wearing for the most part aluminum frame snowshoes and it would have been quite dicey passing though there with that equipment. Stuck behind the group and waiting for an opening was Hikrgrl who was finishing up her 48. She was wearing crampons as was I and we passed through and continued the hike together doing both peaks and heading back.

I saw her only one other time, that was at the awards ceremony that April. By then she had adopted Madison and their long adventure together had began. Even though we've never crossed paths again, I've enjoyed following her adventures. Chris next rode her bike across the country. Then she and Madison set off for their grand adventure doing the AT trail through hike. After that it seems to me she did the John Muir trail. Madison, now 13 yrs., has just completed her 48. Chris says Madison is still strong and loves the trails.

Congratulations to Chris (hikrgrl) and Madison. We wish you many more trails together.

MadisononCarrigan_zpse0fb34f7.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks so much, Ed! Mad-dog earned her trail name - she did 1800 miles on the AT and would have finished if she hadn't come down with Anaplasmosis in the Whites. She's since done plenty of backpacking, including sections of the trail in ME and I am confident that she could have finished if she hadn't gotten sick. And it's true that I've been cross-country on a bike, and done most of the JMT - all of the sections that coincide with the PCT (I'm on the 3 year plan...hoping to finish OR & WA this summer).
She is the best hiking partner ever :)

Awesome! She sounds like a wonderful partner...

Sorry to hear of the anaplasmosis. My horse and two of the neighbor's dogs have had this over the past few years and each was miserable until it was figured out and treated. Glad she fully recovered!

Congratulations to Madison. I always wanted a hiking dog, 8 months ago my non- hiking dog of 11 years passed away, ( man did I love her). Shortly after that, someone asked me if I new someone who could adopt an Austrailian shepard. I believe in fate and yes I took him. Now, I hike always with my new dog, being with your dog in the mountains is way special. I wish you and Madision the best in your continued exploits in the hill's, maybe me and Buddy will cross your path someday.

Mad-Dog looks so sweet in that picture, it's hard to imagine how she came up with that name. But that she's a magnificent companion and trail dog I have no doubt. To spend all the time you did with your dog out on the AT as you did has got to be a very, very special experience.

Another hiker gave Madison the name. It was really fun to sign the trail registers "Ducky & Mad-Dog" because when other thru-hikers met me, they expected to see some six foot dude in my vicinity - there were many who were surprised that Mad-Dog was actually... a dog!

Congratulations to you and Mad Dog! My yellow lab, Simon, and I are slowing working our way through the 48 and are particularly fond of hearing of other dogs's adventures.

"Mad Dog" got her scroll yesterday. It was the first time I had seen Chris since back in the days when I was hiking with Duffy. We got a picture of Madison with the "miniature" Duffy, but as you can see Lauky was more interested in Madison than posing for the picture.

IMG_4297_zpsc811e6a3.jpg
[/URL]

:D
It was great to see you last night as well...I hope our paths will cross again!

Madison reminds me so much of my best and deeply missed hiking partner, Codie. Did many hikes with her in MA, NH, ME, VT and my present location in GA and SC. Her last years we only did short hikes. Thanks for sharing.