Madison via Valley Way and Osgood. 1/18

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Trail Conditions: I second the trail conditions on valley way (regarding other recent post). It was all ice mixed in with roots and rocks. Some ice flows here and there but nothing too bad. Closer to the hut the trail becomes hard pack snow (like it should be from the start). About 4 blowdowns on Valley Way but all could be stepped over easily. Osgood was loose snow and bare rock with some ice here and there. Lots of foot traffic so drifts were all tracked.

Equipment: I decided I would start the day in MSRs and they were totally unnecessary. I did wear them to the hut though (I guess I didn't want to admit that I made a dumb decision). I switched to crampons at the hut and kept them on for pretty much the remainder of the day. I took them off halfway down thinking I could bareboot it, that was dumb too. I put them back on after two falls. I did see a ton of microspikes, but I don't swing that way haha. Crampons worked out well for me. My dog wore his softshell above treeline and he seemed fine. Mushers on the paws worked out great.

Comments: As of 5 PM there was no snow falling at the trailhead. I can only assume that the storm will not make it to the mountains and the conditions will be similar tomorrow. It was quite the surprise coming home to 6+ inches of wet heavy snow. Nice day above treeline.