Madison Winter Routes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
I know that Valley Way is the safest and most well traveled route up Madison in the winter but, I'm interested in alternative routes. I realize that other routes are not as well sheltered and I would only attempt them in the best of weather but, I'd still like to know what others experiences have been with other routes.

Which trails are most "doable"? How are Osgood and DW-Scout?

Howker Ridge is my favorite trail up Madison. When we did it a couple of winters ago, it was unbroken and beautiful! :)

Frodo, Suebiscuit, and I descended the Madison Gulf Trail last winter (after ascending Six Husbands). The "ride" down was rather wild, with a few sections of frontpointing. :eek: Needless to say, the route was unbroken and wild but great fun. :D

Watson looked unbroken, and I imagine the same for Daniel Webster. Howker Ridge was awesome,several great views, but has a few short,steep scrambles. Allow extra time, and bring snowshoes.
Have fun. :)

While not a very direct route, Kings Ravien is a fun climb, and it puts you out right above Madison hut.

King Ravine

Jkrew81 said:
While not a very direct route, Kings Ravien is a fun climb, and it puts you out right above Madison hut.

Would that be pretty technical in the winter?? I did it in summer and agree it is a lot of fun - probably not for me this time of year...

Not extremely technical, but not easy either. I found it to be more of a strain on the aerobic side more than anything. I did the route with 10 point pons and a standard mtneering ice axe.

Avalanche danger on King Ravine??

I would very much hesitate to do something as steep as King Ravine without someone who knows a lot more about avalanches than I do. A few years ago two hikers were caught in small avalanches on one of the trails in that ravine (Great Gully as I recall, too lazy to check).

KR does have Avy Danger.

Airline is another option, either from bottom or take VW to Scar over the Airline & up to Gulfside. There is a cut-off that brings you to the hut but it may not be broken out.

Issue with Watson is Cairns also blend in so if weather does deteriorate, you may have navigational issues.

I Like up Valley Way & down Airline Scar Valley Way myself. Osgood has a ton of exposure, if westerly winds, maybe somewhat protected if more northerly may be out in the thick of it a long time..

Mohamed Ellozy said:
I would very much hesitate to do something as steep as King Ravine without someone who knows a lot more about avalanches than I do. A few years ago two hikers were caught in small avalanches on one of the trails in that ravine (Great Gully as I recall, too lazy to check).
It was two snow climbers in Great Gully. Fortunately not killed. But injured sufficiently that they had to be rescued.

I agree--avalanches are a significant hazard on the walls of King Ravine.
We saw lots of avalanche debris when we were in the Ravine a number of years ago.

Doug

King Ravine is cool and all, but FAR from what Double Bow was asking for (suitable and more interesting route than VW to be done under ideal conditions). My climbing partner SAW KR avalanche around this time of year a few years back.

After 3 attempts on Osgood(2 winter-1 summer) we finally decided to go Airline instead. Osgood is slow in winter,and when you break out above treeline the wind can be tough. On our summer attempt(MD weekend) last year,Mrs KD got taken right off her feet in a gust-a little scary for her.