Maine 4000'ers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob H

Reaction score
Heading for Maine for 4 days at Sugarloaf and hope to "bag" as many of the 4000'ers as we can. Any advice on the most efficient plan of attack? We are fairly strong hikers who would like to spend the night in our cozy condo and not a tent. We may have an extra person to spot cars and/or pick us up at trailheads. Advice and direction appreciated.

You can hit Sugarloaf, Spaulding, and Abraham in a day by driving to the AT crossing on Caribou Valley Road (good ground clearance helps), hiking the ridge, and meet your car drop at the end of the Firewarden's trail.

The Bigelows and the Horns (100 highest, leave no stragglers) can be done as a nice loop via the Firewarden's trail (different one) and another trail I can't remember, something with Pond in the name.

Saddleback and Horn make for a nice, if long, out and back along the AT. It's shorter via the ski trails but right now access appears to be closed off due to construction.

The Crockers and Reddington both make reasonable short day hikes, with a bushwack you can combine the two. Car access to Reddington is tricky due to some bad bridges.

Great area, I just have three up there (Crockers and Abraham) to finish my NE list.

-dave-

Bob H said:
Heading for Maine for 4 days at Sugarloaf and hope to "bag" as many of the 4000'ers as we can. Any advice on the most efficient plan of attack? We are fairly strong hikers who would like to spend the night in our cozy condo and not a tent. We may have an extra person to spot cars and/or pick us up at trailheads. Advice and direction appreciated.

Thanks, Dave. The maps will start to make more sense once I hear from some locals and others who have hiked it. I'm heading up there later in Aug. and will let you know how we do. Thanks again.
Bob H.

Re: Overnight or day hiking only??

All of the 4000'ers are on or near the AT. We considered doing that stretch of the AT and hitting them all... but... I'm getting spoiled in my "old age" and don't want to carry the real heavy pack. The Sugarloaf idea seemed like a good way to hit some peaks and have some fun (We'll probably golf on a "rest day"). That's why I'm looking for advice on day hiking these peaks. Your input is appreciated.
Bob H.

whitelief, I’ve dayhiked it and recently thruhiked it and both were a lot of fun. With the Caribou Valley Road access being so well placed, you might also be able to backpack it over two weekends.

Bob H, Dave’s suggestions are a very efficient plan, especially Abraham, Spaulding and Sugarloaf with a car spot. I too would highly recommend the Bigelows loop (Fire Warden’s, Horns Pond Trail and the AT), taking in the Horns as well as West and Avery Peaks. A couple of extra miles buys you a lot - North Horn is a great summit. If you have to work around some weather, remember that Saddleback, The Horn, Abraham, Sugarloaf and the Bigelows have the views. Good directions to Redington are here.

John,
Thanks for the directions to redington. We'll scope out that trailhead or just run over from S. Crocker if we get there at a decent time. Its nice to have options and we appreciate the info.

Reports from earlier this season have said that the iffy bridge on the way to Reddington is even more iffy now. People have driven over it, but it would definately depend on the vehicle.

-dave-

I went up Redington in late June and can report that the bridge 1.1 miles from the AT crossing is in terrible shape. Me and my crew did not drive over it and I'm not certain a car could make it if you wanted to. There is an open area with plenty of parking at the fork just before the bridge.

The road walk to the summit following Mohamed's directions is easy. We made it in just under 2 hours. You can be there and back to the your car in about 4 hours or less at an average hiking speed. Besides, hiking through Caribou is very nice. Lots of open views and wildflowers.

Redington, driving, and walking

Hey,

So, I hiked up Redington 6 days ago Saturday. Mohamed's directions are very good, and little has changed. When you get to the stack of aluminum piping and UPS packages, turn right.

I drove up CVR in my low clearance sedan, and parked just shy of the AT, when I encountered some deep potholes on the (far side) approach of one of the smaller bridges. High clearance vehicles can make it to the washout lot 1.1 miles beyond the AT, no problem. No one who was actively thinking would try to drive over the bridge beyond that lot.

The way I see it, Redington by this route is a walk on the road in the forest anyway, right? So, my walking from the AT just gave me a longer nice hike. Besides, it gave me a chance to check out sites for a future winter peakbagging snow camp. Wildlife sited on CVR included two whitetails and a great blue.

Last edited:
Actually, there are two iffy bridges. There’s the one mentioned by Ten Peaks, which should be a non-issue now because of an ugly washout running down the road and through the old parking area. Most people won’t even get to that bridge anymore because of the washout. There is new parking just before the washout area.

The other iffy bridge is about a third of mile before the AT crossing. The problem is not the big hole on the left (heading south) which can be avoided simply by keeping to the right. Rather, it’s the way that the road sags just over the bridge deck and then begins to rise. This caused a problem for a Subaru Legacy on the return due to low front end clearance. We had to lay out a few pieces of firewood in the sag to raise the front end and lessen the angle of approach to keep the bumper from catching on the bridge deck. A vehicle with higher front clearance would likely have no problem.

John S said:
The other iffy bridge is about a third of mile before the AT crossing. The problem is not the big hole on the left (heading south) which can be avoided simply by keeping to the right. Rather, it’s the way that the road sags just over the bridge deck and then begins to rise. This caused a problem for a Subaru Legacy on the return due to low front end clearance. We had to lay out a few pieces of firewood in the sag to raise the front end and lessen the angle of approach to keep the bumper from catching on the bridge deck. A vehicle with higher front clearance would likely have no problem.
Yes, that sounds like my bridge, just before the AT. After driving up over the ruts from the steel bed bridge, I was ready to park anyway. Much more fun to walk.

Last edited:
Hiked Redington yesterday, and Caribou Valley Road (now marked Caribou Pond Road) was quite an adventure. No problems to the AT crossing, but the rest of the way to Redington was pretty iffy. We made it to the Redington parking spot (which now has a huge washout in it) with our Toyota Matrix. Two ro three scrapes. There was also a Honda Accord at the parking area. I wouldn't recommend trying it without a truck, SUV or other urban assault vehicle...but it can be done.

FWIW, this hike was much nicer than we had anticipated. Nice views, and tasty raspberries!

Thanks to Mohammed for the great directions!

Redington

How far would you say it is from the AT to where you parked? Have you ever hiked from South crocker to Redington? We are going to do N & S Crocker as a day trip and wondered if it might just be as easy to b'whack over once we are on SC. Your thoughts and thanks!
Bob H.

Re: Redington

Bob H said:
... Have you ever hiked from South crocker to Redington? We are going to do N & S Crocker as a day trip and wondered if it might just be as easy to b'whack over once we are on SC. Your thoughts and thanks!
Bob H.
I did an AT section hike with my daughter through there a couple of years ago and we did the bushwhack from South Crocker. It was not too bad. There were some surveyors tape makings on the herd path but we could easily have done it without.

Here's the report (part of a larger report of the whole section hike): Redington bushwhack report

Pb

If your vehicle can make it to the AT crossing then you can make it the remaning 1.1 miles. The road is roughest the first .1 or so miles from the crossing, but gets better as you approach the V intersection.

Redington bushwhack

I met the guys who filed that 8/7 report, jhiker and nephew, on the summit of Redington last Saturday right after their bushwhack from South Crocker. They had used Papa Bear's report and they found the bushwhack pretty straightforward, was my impression.

Hey, who is worried about walking 1.1 miles? Isn't that why we are out there? Just park the car, yeah?