Maine AT question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegematic

Reaction score
A couple of AT hikers are spending a couple days with some friends of mine after coming through the Mahoosucs. They are hiking with a young dog and some friends have joined them for a couple weeks. I guess the Mahoosucs did a number on the puppy and the friends so the thru-hikers would like to jump ahead to where the trail is a bit more user-friendly. They asked me where they should jump to. I've hiked the Mahoosuc section and Baxter, but only bits and pieces in between so I'm not sure what to tell them.

They said they don't mind a good stiff climb, but they'd like to avoid boulder fields (Mahoosuc Notch, anyone?) and steep, ledgey, hand-over-hand scrambling. I know many of you have hiked it all so I'm hoping you'll chime in. They are planning to get back on the trail tomorrow (Monday).

-vegematic

vegematic said:
A couple of AT hikers are spending a couple days with some friends of mine after coming through the Mahoosucs. They are hiking with a young dog and some friends have joined them for a couple weeks. I guess the Mahoosucs did a number on the puppy and the friends so the thru-hikers would like to jump ahead to where the trail is a bit more user-friendly. They asked me where they should jump to. I've hiked the Mahoosuc section and Baxter, but only bits and pieces in between so I'm not sure what to tell them.

They said they don't mind a good stiff climb, but they'd like to avoid boulder fields (Mahoosuc Notch, anyone?) and steep, ledgey, hand-over-hand scrambling. I know many of you have hiked it all so I'm hoping you'll chime in. They are planning to get back on the trail tomorrow (Monday).

-vegematic
I would almost say they can get right back in with the Baldpates and on to East B Hill Rd, South Arm Rd., Rte 17, and Rte 4. The next piece is longer going over Saddleback, Poplar Ridge then Spaulding, Sugarbush and the Crockers.

The first 3 days all have easy road access between climbs. Maybe set them up with your friends for slack-packing those sections till doggie gets his legs back.

Assuming they're northbounders (did I miss something?), I'm with PB on this one. Haven't done the whole state, but most of the peaky parts on the AT, and there is nothing like the Mahoosucs. Once you're past Speck Pond going NB, the rest of it is pretty straightforward. The Mahoosucs chewed me up and spat me out.

Now, if you're talking stream crossings with a dog with the recent rains, that's another story... north of the Bigelows there are quite a few important ones, though we are in for a much drier pattern the next couple weeks. :D

Weatherman

Hi Vegematic,
I agree with the other posts, with the following possible exception:

The section of Bemis Mountain between Peak 1 and the Bemis Track (1.1 miles west of Route 17) is steep, ledgy and has a few sections that require some to use hand over hand. My lazy Golden Retriever has done it several times without any problems, but still some may be fearful taking a young dog on that stretch.

Marty

marty said:
Hi Vegematic,
I agree with the other posts, with the following possible exception:

The section of Bemis Mountain between Peak 1 and the Bemis Track (1.1 miles west of Route 17) is steep, ledgy and has a few sections that require some to use hand over hand. My lazy Golden Retriever has done it several times without any problems, but still some may be fearful taking a young dog on that stretch.

Marty

As I recall when I did the AT there was a trail, old AT I believed, that followed the valley avoiding the Bemis Range. It crossed Rte 17 and followed an old route to Sabbathday Pond rejoining the AT there. If still usable might be worth considering.

If they’re thru-hiking, isn’t it cheating to ‘‘jump ahead’’?

Or are they going to go back and do that part eventually?

If that’s the case, they may as well go to the end and hike south to where they left the trail. No different from leaving the trail anywhere else, going to the end, and reversing direction, which I know is regularly done.

Otherwise, I’d say they’re section-hiking, like a fellow I met in Double-Aught who apparently made it to Baxter too late and had to do the last bit the following year. (Which he worried might happen, and wanted to avoid happening, because if it did, it would make him a section-hiker, not a thru-hiker. One really long section and one short one.)

AntlerPeak said:
As I recall when I did the AT there was a trail, old AT I believed, that followed the valley avoiding the Bemis Range. It crossed Rte 17 and followed an old route to Sabbathday Pond rejoining the AT there. If still usable might be worth considering.

This is the Bemis Valley Trail (sometimes called the Bemis Stream trail). It is a blue blazed trail off the AT that starts 1 mile west of the main peak of Bemis Mt. It takes you all the way to Route 17. Unless that trail was extended (which would be cool), it terminates at Route 17. You can take logging roads that hook up to the AT, but that is a bit tricky unless you have a GPS or carry map 18 of the Maine Atlas & Gazetteer. It is easier to just to walk north about a mile along the shoulder of 17 back to the AT, as long as the dog is on a leash due to traffic. The AT crosses 17 just before the "Height of Land" scenic overlook parking area.

Marty

If they dont mind some flipflopping Rt 17 to Rt 27 is a relative cakewalk with a farily flat well graded trailbed, plus a lot of nice ponds along the way. Might be a good way for the pup to est up. In the section from RT 26 to Rt17, there are several steep rocky sections and Bemis is bony, nothing like the Mahoosucs. The run from Baldpate to East B hill road is flat and not bony.

Raymond said:
If they’re thru-hiking, isn’t it cheating to ‘‘jump ahead’’?

Or are they going to go back and do that part eventually?

If that’s the case, they may as well go to the end and hike south to where they left the trail. No different from leaving the trail anywhere else, going to the end, and reversing direction, which I know is regularly done.

Otherwise, I’d say they’re section-hiking, like a fellow I met in Double-Aught who apparently made it to Baxter too late and had to do the last bit the following year. (Which he worried might happen, and wanted to avoid happening, because if it did, it would make him a section-hiker, not a thru-hiker. One really long section and one short one.)

Is it cheating? That's a question for you to decide. Considering the A.T. has a long history of relocations especially in Maine it becomes a moot point. The Bemis Valley Trail was once part of the A.T. so earlier thru hikers used that portion of trail. I doubt there is a serious difference in mileage hiked. I would also have a hard time accepting the notion that anyone who started in GA and used the Bemis Valley trail as an alternative would lose thru hiker status.

There are a number of alternative routes along the trail avoiding dangerous sections hikers are encouraged to take in bad weather. I suggested this as an alternative to the person raising the question. Since these connecting trails exist and may be used for safety and injured or distressed hikers, I fail to see a problem.

When hiking the 100 mile wilderness my wife broke two toes and left a rocky portion of trail where she walked a half mile or so parallel to the trail along the beach of a large lake. Actually walking in the water. I doubt the Trail conference is going to say she has to go back because that exercise didn't count.

Before the Old Blue relocation was opened we opted to climb over Old Blue and rejoin the trail near Elephant Mt Lean-to rather than use the Bemis Valley Trail. Of course Old Blue is the A.T. now. I would suggest such minor diversions used out of need is not cheating. Sometimes it is required dictated by circumstance. In this case I'd have a hard time telling someone they did not hike the trail. It is not like somebody caught a ride around a section skipping it entirely. And walking through New Hampshire south to north and jumping to Katahdin and walking south to NH on the same trip is still through hiking. There is nothing in the book placing qualifiers on direction.

Like I said it is a judgment call but if a member of the group is having a problem, splitting hairs over an insignificant section of trail is petty. I would not tell them their accomplishment has been cheapened.

You decide and regard that as how you will. I don't see it as a problem.

Last edited:
What you're describing, AntlerPeak, is akin to taking the Eisenhower Loop instead of the Crawford Path. Maybe I'm wrong, but the original post seemed more like getting in a car and driving from Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch, then resuming hiking. If it were me, I'd have to go back and cover that ground on foot, but maybe I'm the only one who feels that way.

Raymond said:
What you're describing, AntlerPeak, is akin to taking the Eisenhower Loop instead of the Crawford Path. Maybe I'm wrong, but the original post seemed more like getting in a car and driving from Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch, then resuming hiking. If it were me, I'd have to go back and cover that ground on foot, but maybe I'm the only one who feels that way.

Nope it was most likely me not you. The route I suggested was simply a parallel trail avoiding the rough terrain. I don't have my guide handy but I'm guessing there is no real change in distance.

I'd never advocate driving and counting that and yes you would have to go back to claim hiking the trail. But since the trail is fluid anyway I don't think an alternate trail in the time of need is a problem.

So we agree I'd not sanction somebody driving around a range skipping it and continuing the hike. You can't claim you hiked the trail when you skip sections.

It's kind of like driving your car to the top of Mt Washington hiking to Jefferson saying I have 1 4k mountain. then walking back to Washington, now I have 2. Nope don't work that way.

Last edited:
There are varying levels of "purity" in almost anything. I've met some thru hikers who felt it was cheating if, after staying at a shelter overnight, you didn't go back to the exact spot where you left the white blazes for the blue before continuing.

So if the AT was one side of a small triangle, hiking the other two sides wasn't pure enough. :rolleyes: I think that's a bit much, but to each her own, and let's all hike our own hike.

vegematic said:
... did a number on the puppy ...
Hope Fido isn't as turned off to hiking as some beginners might be after Mahoosuc. Have they considered a kennel for a few days rest while they climb to their hearts content?

Several years ago we encoutered blood spots on the rocks hiking through Mahoosuc Notch. We eventually encoutered a summer Forest Service employee with his dog, who had been hiking with the dog all summer all over the whites. The dogs pads were bleeding from having hiked over the Mahoosucs over the last few days. He claimed that this was the first time this had ever happened to his dog.

He was planning to go up Mahoosuc arm and out to RT 26 that afternoon with the dog in that condition. We convinced him to join us on the Bull Branch bushwhack and got him a ride home from there. The dog did a lot better in the soft leaves and frequent stream beds along the bushwhack.

So what is it about the rocks in the Mahoosucs? I personally feel that the trail is quite rough so the dog gets to do a lot of scratching its way up over boulders where in other places, they can hop up steps.

Moody Mtn.

I'm sure anything I write now will be too late for your friends to use in choosing where to hike now. But as I recall Moody Mtn. was a tough northbound hike, with steel ladder rungs in the rock face in a few places.

Maybe it was just the fifty degree temps and the rain that our group had so much trouble with there.