Maine Firetower Peak list

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget that "tower" on Mount Abraham. I'm not sure what it was ever used for. It was too feeble for me to attempt climbing it and only 10 - 15' high as I recall. Anyone know the story of this tower? It's listed in that link as a fire lookout tower but it's hard to imagine anyone standing or sitting up there for any length of time.

Mount Abraham "tower"

Pb

Last edited:
The picture was taken on September 18, 2002 at 2:08 PM (love digital picture meta data).

Here it is with caption and date.

Pb

davy said:
I found a great link, lots of info, and many orginal tower pictures and current status:

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/4192/fflo.htm

Dave Hilton who developed that website (and also wrote a book on Maine fire towers "From Allagash to York County" died last year. There is a memorial to him at Mt. Agamenticus. I would suggest that you grab any info you want from the web site as it may go away any time.

There are errors in both book and website (for example not 1 but 2 collapsed towers at Camp Colby) and he has collected a lot of stuff for a 2nd edition which now may not happen.