Maine Huts & Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see this plan as preservation at all but the building up of remote areas...remember, LURC is reviewing these non-profit "huts" as sporting camps....

I think a common misconception is that there is no current public access - which is not true in most cases. Ideas like a Maine hut system come up and it sounds like a good idea perhaps because people don't know they can already x-country ski and camp in Bigelow (for example). I know Restore uses that as a selling point, yet most of the areas highlighted on the proposed park map are already accessible and/or protected from development.

but I got a little more info this weekend...

Larry Warren is not a philanthropist trying to preserve Maine...he is an employee of the Western Mountains Foundation, which happens to be in debt. Apparently, the foundation cannot get funding to get out of debt without the go ahead for a trail through the Bigelow Preserve.

AND...WMF has been given permission for a *temporary* trail through the preserve - not machine groomed - until the management plan can be updated.
temporary??? yeah right.