Major Snow Storm coming

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bikehikeskifish said:
So DrewKnight (or anyone else who lives in or near WV) -- How are the XC groomed trails looking? WV advertises 32Kms open and a 4-5" base (12-14" in the woods) with early-season conditions. I don't mind an occasional scratch or hop to avoid a rock, but even with rock skis I don't want to resurface them in a single day's skiing... Oddly enough, Livermore Road is not open for skiing :confused: Might go Saturday.

Thx,
Tim

Last night at about 6pm when I was taking my dogs out, two friends passed the house with snowshoes in their hands. They snowshoed up to the kettles. They said not much was groomed. This morning I did see some people going up tripoli road on my way to the mt. and I'm guessing that should be ok. I'm waiting for someone to report back that there are no rocks showing. By the way the mt is in great shape --top to bottom. There was even gate training for the kids doing a slalom race next week.

I am a hiker, not a XC skier, but did snowshoe in the WV area yesterday and today (Tue-Wed). The lower part of Livermore Road looks definitely skiable right now (little traffic), as does the Greeley Ponds Trail. However, the snow is shallow; both my poles and my snowshoe crampons hit rocks a few times.

There were at least a half dozen cars at the Depot Camp parking today; I believe that most were skiing the "open" trails. But if many people ski Livermore Road and Greeley Ponds before the weekend they may become rather rough.

Yeah, what Mohammed and SkiBones said...

I scanned the visible parts of the trails at 6:30 this morning... cover looked nice and dense on Golf Course loop, Tripoli Road @ West Branch, and both visible sides of Swans where it crosses Tripoli. YMMV, but it was cold (0 degrees) and the forecast is for a little more snow tomorrow, so it is probably a decent bet, especially if you hedge and bring your rock skis.

I did get out and tried the X-C trails at Waterville Valley. The coverage was great and there are alot of the trails open. The alpine was also good with more trails open and guns still going on the lower terrain.

Say matt and grouseking what's your prognosis for the storm on Thursday?

I am still looking at models which are wavering on exactly how strong it will be. Monday the mountains are getting decent quick shot of snow 1-4 inches, Tuesday another shot of 2-5 inches and Thursday could be 5-10 inches. It is going to take another day or so to pinpoint strengh of system, could be more, but at this time looks like 5-10. So definitly a lots of chances of accum snow coming. -Mattl

skibones said:
I did get out and tried the X-C trails at Waterville Valley. The coverage was great and there are alot of the trails open. The alpine was also good with more trails open and guns still going on the lower terrain.

XC was really pretty decent for 12/8! Lots of rocks poking up so pick your way carefully in some areas and use your rock skis.

Tim

skiguy said:
Say matt and grouseking what's your prognosis for the storm on Thursday?

Man I tell ya, so much going on right now!! The mtns picked up 1-4 inches of snow last night, according to the backcountry weather conditions.

http://www.outdoors.org/recreation/tripplanner/go/backcountry-weather.cfm

Two more light to possibly moderate storms coming up this week. Tuesday night snows up north for a couple inches and then a more important storm for Thursday. Too early for exact accumulations, but it might form off the coast, so moisture could be a bit more plentiful. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see a 4-6 incher out of out, could be more, but confidence is low for now... but lets deal with Tuesday's snow before Thursday. :)

BTW, Tuesday nights snow looks to be a mixed bag in southern New England.

grouseking

Let's hope that this active pattern continues. These smaller storms and upslope effects are certainly starting to accumulate even in the Valleys.

grouseking said:
The mtns picked up 1-4 inches of snow last night, according to the backcountry weather conditions.

Two inches of fresh powder in Waterville Valley this AM. Everyone I talked to on the mountain all weekend was grinning ear-to-ear and saying, "Can you believe this after last year?"

The controversial Roemer ;) is saying "watch Thursday into Friday" but hasn't gotten specific yet. And that, on top of a couple more fast-moving systems this week that could bring a few quick inches.

These little storms look great, what a great change from the beginning of last year. Hopefully this one tomorrow night drops a few inches, I'm gonna head out to Jay or Mad River to play on Wednesday!!

king tut said:
These little storms look great, what a great change from the beginning of last year. Hopefully this one tomorrow night drops a few inches, I'm gonna head out to Jay or Mad River to play on Wednesday!!

Take me to the River....Drop me in the Powder. Shred on on Dude ;)

DrewKnight said:
Two inches of fresh powder in Waterville Valley this AM. Everyone I talked to on the mountain all weekend was grinning ear-to-ear and saying, "Can you believe this after last year?"

The controversial Roemer ;) is saying "watch Thursday into Friday" but hasn't gotten specific yet. And that, on top of a couple more fast-moving systems this week that could bring a few quick inches.

Drew is right--it's hard to find someone on the mt without a big grin. The conditions for Dec are great-both alpine and X-C.
Also out of the valley isn't bad for this time if the year. A group of us from WV did a snowshoe hike to Picked Pond off of route 3 in Thornton---tons of snow.Even met friend that was X-C skiing to the pond. Hope mother nature keeps it up.

Here we go again?

Matt, what are you seeing Sunday night into Monday AM? Roemer (BestSkiWeather.com) is now calling for probable, significant (foot-plus) northern storm.

He sees later today materializing as several inches of snow (or more) north, with mixed precip south, and Thursday as lighter north and more significant south, but seems particularly excited about prospects for the end of the weekend.

DrewKnight said:
Matt, what are you seeing Sunday night into Monday AM? Roemer (BestSkiWeather.com) is now calling for probable, significant (foot-plus) northern storm.

He sees later today materializing as several inches of snow (or more) north, with mixed precip south, and Thursday as lighter north and more significant south, but seems particularly excited about prospects for the end of the weekend.

I'll fill in for Matt as he's at work right now. ;) Though sometimes he comes on anyways.

We actually have a three more storms coming, the first coming later this afternoon. Looks to be all snow in the mtns.... a nice 2-4 inches, possibly mixing with a bit of sleet in any valley. Hanover is under a Winter Weather advisiory for a mixed bag of snow sleet and freezing rain....blah.

Then Thursday's storm could be a southern New England special, they may issue winter storm watches for 6 inches or more along the Mass Pike. Still, since its going to be very cold up north, a healthy 2-4, or 3-6 inches of very fluffy snow is possible in the mtns.

Which brings us to Sunday....

One of the latest models brings a storm right off Atlantic City Sunday, and then up to Cape Cod canal towards Monday. If you were to read that face value, its a good run for northern and central New England, and the Adirondacks for big snows, not to mention all the way back towards the Binghamton area.

Obviously I will believe it when I see it, but the storm has been on the charts for days. But we had might as well get through these other moderate storms before the potential "monster" this weekend. In fact, some places in southern New England may get their biggest snow of the year later Thursday.

That is all.

grouseking

Last edited:
skiguy said:
Take me to the River....Drop me in the Powder. Shred on on Dude ;)

I woke up this morning to rain in Burlington VT, looked on the web and saw that Mad River Glen was getting rain too, and also looked at Jay Peak and saw that they got 6 inches of snow. So I headed up to the Kingdom and had an absolutely phenomenal day skiing at Jay. They got at least 6 inches, maybe an inch or two more up top. Fresh powder lines all day, and I took two runs over to the Beaver Pond glade and Andre's Paradise, all the way to the skiiers left side of the mountain, and it was knee deep untouched snow all the way through the glades. Fresh lines everywhere. Absolutely the best day of skiing I have ever had in December or January. The snow in the woods is already waste deep if you take your skis off. All the trails are open, and if these next two storms pan out, the snow will be insanely deep up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.