Major Snow Storm coming

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mattl said:
...bomb off the coast.
Thank Goodness, I thought I'd have to spend the day in a bomb shelter. By the way Matt, is that an official meteorological term? :rolleyes:

Mattl said:
One of the more interesting or strange storms I have seen.
I don't see what's so interesting or strange about several inches of snow in December. :confused:

wow...the dude is excited about weather and watching it change and fluctuate and appreciating it's unpredictability and everyone starts teasing the poor guy. Sheesh...can't get a break around here!!! Must be a case of the Monday's ;) ;) :D

Mattl: thanks for your unbounded enthusiasm over snow and weather systems.

Here in Springfield VT we have about 8-9" of not light but not super heavy snow. A little more, like 1", predicted over the next 24 hours. So that's the story here.

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
By the way Matt, is that an official meteorological term? :rolleyes:

I don't see what's so interesting or strange about several inches of snow in December. :confused:

The terms cyclogenesis and bombogenesis are used pretty interchangably...I've seen them both. Yes, its an accepted scientific term. Means that the low pressure deepens a whole heck of a lot in a short period of time. (can't remember how much) Trouble with this storm, it deepened a little late...so the snow didn't really get going till later. Thats why Maine and the northeeastern mtns are getting the most snow. Springfield VT got a lot of snow because last night there was heavy warm air advection snow that added up fast, plus a pretty copnsistent band of moderate snow today. Lucky. Here in Hanover, a good 8 inches I think. I'll have to measure later.

And yes, bring on the upslope. :)

grouseking said:
And yes, bring on the upslope. :)

I live on a Small Hill that rises above a Lake about 300 feet. There is always, like tonight more snow at my house than in the Valley by the Lake. I have always wondered why this is . Thanks to you guys I think I understand that I've got a local Upslope effect. Is it unreasonable to think also that when the lake is unfrozen as it is right now that it too could be feeding the Added Snow that I see here at my house only Two Miles from the Lake?

skiguy said:
I live on a Small Hill that rises above a Lake about 300 feet. There is always, like tonight more snow at my house than in the Valley by the Lake. I have always wondered why this is . Thanks to you guys I think I understand that I've got a local Upslope effect. Is it unreasonable to think also that when the lake is unfrozen as it is right now that it too could be feeding the Added Snow that I see here at my house only Two Miles from the Lake?

There might be a small enhanced snow from upslope, but I think your extra snow is from your 300 feet of higher elevation. Its amazing what a couple hundred feet of elevation can do. During the APril 15th storm, Lebanon had about an inch on slush down in the valley at 600 feet. At 1000 feet, there was 7 inches of heavy wet snow and the power lines were threatening to come down. Thankfully it changed to rain. Further north across Lyme, Canaan, Enfield area, 12-24 inches of sloppy, wet, elevation snow fell above 1500 feet, causing major power outages, and tree damage. You should see the damage. Its still remarkable to look at the areas that had to be cut down. So I'd be willing to bet its more the elevation that plays a factor in your heavier snows than upslope.

grouseking

grouseking said:
There might be a small enhanced snow from upslope, but I think your extra snow is from your 300 feet of higher elevation. Its amazing what a couple hundred feet of elevation can do. During the APril 15th storm, Lebanon had about an inch on slush down in the valley at 600 feet. At 1000 feet, there was 7 inches of heavy wet snow and the power lines were threatening to come down. Thankfully it changed to rain. Further north across Lyme, Canaan, Enfield area, 12-24 inches of sloppy, wet, elevation snow fell above 1500 feet, causing major power outages, and tree damage. You should see the damage. Its still remarkable to look at the areas that had to be cut down. So I'd be willing to bet its more the elevation that plays a factor in your heavier snows than upslope.

grouseking

Thanks for the response. I have a friend whom lives in Sharon,Vt. up the road from Norwich which is not too far from you. I have seen time and again what the elavation change there can do. I guess I was hoping that I might have some unusual Lake Effect pattern going on that NOAA or somebody else might be interested in. :D By the way still snowing here in Conway. :)

2 or 3 inches in Burlington VT after the 8-12 prediction. Maybe the rest will fall tonight, I remain skeptical. I believe the forecasters here over-hyped the storm so that every minivan in front of me would drive 15 miles an hour below the speed limit today. School was cancelled, things shut down, i thought for a moment I was living in South Carolina. Perhaps people are unaware it is winter...

king tut said:
2 or 3 inches in Burlington VT after the 8-12 prediction. Maybe the rest will fall tonight, I remain skeptical. I believe the forecasters here over-hyped the storm so that every minivan in front of me would drive 15 miles an hour below the speed limit today. School was cancelled, things shut down, i thought for a moment I was living in South Carolina. Perhaps people are unaware it is winter...

look at it this way.....it makes it easier too get to the pow with the rest out of the way

Took a while... but we're at 1 foot in WV

Snowed lightly to moderately all day, though it never got to the howling nor'easter stage. Just walked our elderly greyhound (who views all frozen precip with deep disdain) and found an undisturbed patch to measure... just about a foot and still snowing lightly. This one has been all about duration, and it sounds like we may get a few more inches before end of day tomorrow.

A friend reported good (untracked) conditions out on the Livermore Road when he went for some headlamp-enhanced cross country skiing this evening. If you like snow, this weekend ought to be a treat.

Is it the kind of snow that will groom into a proper base? A foot of powder compresses to about an inch or two under a sno cat...

Tim

(I like Livermore Road with nice crispy corduroy.)

It appears to be mostly done up here in Tamworth and we picked up somewhere around a foot. Somewhat fluffly, but still a moisture content to it (not wet slop though). Slippery roads!

Cannon Mountain (4100') is reporting 17-18" so far since Sunday; it's still snowing and will top out at about 2' when it's all over tomorrow.

Lost River (112, Kinsman Notch) called in 14" to VPR's EOTS this morning. Still snowing.

Franconia valley area has 8-12"; still snowing with another 2-4" expected by the end of today.

Beautiful light fluff that will compress quickly.

DrewKnight said:
Snowed lightly to moderately all day, though it never got to the howling nor'easter stage. Just walked our elderly greyhound (who views all frozen precip with deep disdain) and found an undisturbed patch to measure... just about a foot and still snowing lightly. This one has been all about duration, and it sounds like we may get a few more inches before end of day tomorrow.

A friend reported good (untracked) conditions out on the Livermore Road when he went for some headlamp-enhanced cross country skiing this evening. If you like snow, this weekend ought to be a treat.

Saw those ski tracks yesterday and was wondering what the coverage was like. Today it's groomed up Tripoli-haven't checked WV X-C report yet. Maybe give it a try this afternoon after alpine on the hill this morning!
Skibones

DrewKnight said:
Not waiting for the weekend, plan to go snowshoeing on one of the trails off Greeley Ponds trail a bit later this morning.

Right now the temp is 19 degrees in Plymouth, and at this time of the year temps below 20 still seem awfully cold :( After a month or so temps around 20 will seem downright balmy :D

We got about 8" here on the coast of Maine. It's still snowing lightly, but probably won't add much to the total. I went for a nice xc ski in the woods near our house this morning before work. It was great to be out--the pine trees were all covered with snow and it felt like a winter wonderland. Can't wait to get in some more skiing this weekend! Yeah winter :D

One inch of frozen slush on the MA/RI border, I postholed my yard last night taking out the trash - and now its frozen postholes. Prolly best not to hike my yard for sometime, someone could get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.