Manhattan

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Just throwing this idea out there...

Would anyone be interested in paddling around the metropilos this year? It would be a long day and I'm open to splitting the trip up into 2 days but 1 day would be cool too.

Ideally, I'd like to do it on a cool/cold, clear, calm day.

If anyone is interested, it would be great if we could meet first and maybe paddle for a couple of hours together. After we make sure we're all on the same page, we can organize the trip.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time it's been done so it is definately do-able.

Would love to get some responses.

I might be interested -- though I'm a real newbie in that activity. I don't own a kayak but I wonder if there are still places along the Hudson available to rent one.

Timing the tides, not getting run over by the Circus Line.. Can you hold your pee for 30 miles?

:)

That's what Warren says, he's done it. I'm scared of the East river :p

Jay

I think you only have to hold your pee for 28 miles. That's easy. :eek:

I believe there are places to get out along the trip. How many, where are they? Not sure but this is something I definately have to check out. I know of one by Spuyten Duyvil. There must be a few more. Warren?

I held it for the 16 miles or so across the sound but the last mile was painfull.

Worst come to worse, knowing wet exit/entry helps. (if you want to swim in the Harlem or East Rivers.)

What kind of experience is needed? I guess knowing some basic rescue techniques that rely on the paddlers around you is good. I can't roll but I still want to do the trip. It would be a plus but I don't think it's a necessity. Practicing these moves before we go is a good idea.

And of course being able to paddle the distance is a safety technique in itself.

Anyone?

IndianChris said:
I think you only have to hold your pee for 28 miles. That's easy. :eek:

I believe there are places to get out along the trip. How many, where are they? Not sure but this is something I definately have to check out. I know of one by Spuyten Duyvil. There must be a few more. Warren?

I held it for the 16 miles or so across the sound but the last mile was painfull.

Worst come to worse, knowing wet exit/entry helps. (if you want to swim in the Harlem or East Rivers.)

What kind of experience is needed? I guess knowing some basic rescue techniques that rely on the paddlers around you is good. I can't roll but I still want to do the trip. It would be a plus but I don't think it's a necessity. Practicing these moves before we go is a good idea.

And of course being able to paddle the distance is a safety technique in itself.

Anyone?
Hasn't anyone here ever hear of a Pee Bottle. Sheesh. A non issue.

There was another thread recently on this subject. There were some good suggestions there.

One thing I would say as a one time paddler and a long time resident of the "terrain" is that this is not a trek for a beginner. It's more like a Pemi loop with people shooting at you than a walk around Central Park. Strong currents, unfriendly shores, commercial boats that simply won't see a small kayak, etc. etc.

Plan well, have escape routes, get in shape, and watch yourself.

As a female I can't imagine I would get any pee into the bottle while sitting in my kayak. I would imagine a wet exit....and then I could just pee in the water......

daxs said:
As a female I can't imagine I would get any pee into the bottle while sitting in my kayak. I would imagine a wet exit....and then I could just pee in the water......
Check the woman's issues section of Whiteblaze.net. The "technology" for women has been developed and refined over the years. If a female thruhiker with full backpack can do it, I would say a kayaker could do it. And with any new skill, practice make perfect. :D

p

... in the thread about books there is one I like that deals with the subject...hopping over the side is one option.
Some people just "let it fly" but I find that a bit crude esp. if your going to be sitting in it for a long time. (as well as the stink factor)

Don't know much about being on the water over there but I would imagine it is some of the worlds busiest waterways. So you'll want to know when your in a shipping lane and when you are not.
Here ,where I am, it is the intersection of 2 or more lanes that I find the most confusing.

A couple of years ago the boat traffic all looked random.... now I can sometimes say ok, that boat looks like he's going to run over me ..but actually it's going up to that buoy and hang a left over to the Green Can then straight down towards the etc...etc...

Guess , I'm trying to say you'll want to able to tell if your on a collison course or not... stuff like that.

There was an article in today's NY Times about this very thing. It was a report from a participant in a recent kayak race (October 14th) around Manhattan.

Several things that were interesting:

- They went clockwise (up the Hudson and down the Harlem/East River). The similar swimming event goes the other way.

- The times were in the 4 - 5 hour range. This surprised me. How did we get to talking about a 30 hour trip in this thread?

- the writer said Hell Gate was a "dud" this year

here's ths link: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/31/sports/othersports/31outdoors.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Good article.

I will say from experience (not myself, fortunately, but a lady I used to paddle with many years ago) you do NOT want to go in your wetsuit!

I think people were talking miles not hrs.

Nice article...mentioned a bit of everything ...water Taxis ..where the wind picks up...Circle Liner... (ferry?)..boat wakes etc...

Getting paddle tangled in fishing line,
He must have really bummed out about that !

Last edited: