Mansfield winte route

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmac

Reaction score
Planning on hiking Mansfield tomorrow, Long trail from 108 or sunset ridge trail?? First hike of the winter season.....thank you in advance:)

The route from 108 will be easier to access and very well packed out. Keep an eye out for skiers coming down, that area is well known. Most of the skiing happens on the bottom 1/2. Enjoy your hike

Planning on hiking Mansfield tomorrow, Long trail from 108 or sunset ridge trail?? First hike of the winter season.....thank you in advance:)
A report from NETC indicates that Sunset Ridge is very icy - full crampons?

I have had trouble from 108 losing the Long Trail among the ski glades - if you're not familiar with the route might I suggest Camels Hump :)

Sounds like you might already have gone, but for a nice day without outrageous wind, I prefer Sunset Ridge.

The LT from 108 can be a shooting gallery of unaware & dubiously in-control skiers; further up you're faced with either finding the route of the Profanity trail, which pretty much drifts in nightly, or dealing with several icy no-fall ledges going up the Chin. It does have the advantages of being somewhat sheltered from the prevailing winds until high up, and the shelter of Taft Lodge.

Sunset Ridge may require full crampons, but if so, then so will summiting via the LT.

Thanks to all who responded...we ended up hiking Sunset ridge trail...trail was broken out...used hillsounds ...very windy on ridge phew!! Lots of fun..
Happy hiking:)

Sounds like you might already have gone, but for a nice day without outrageous wind, I prefer Sunset Ridge.

The LT from 108 can be a shooting gallery of unaware & dubiously in-control skiers; further up you're faced with either finding the route of the Profanity trail, which pretty much drifts in nightly, or dealing with several icy no-fall ledges going up the Chin. It does have the advantages of being somewhat sheltered from the prevailing winds until high up, and the shelter of Taft Lodge.

I agree with this assessment. I had a pretty sketchy go up the Chin one time, mixed ice and rock, with some good gusts of wind. One of my more uncomfortable moments for sure. I've also tried Sunset Ridge and completely lost the trail because of severe drifting, requiring a retreat on my part (it was also quite cold, windy, and getting late). Mansfield is a tougher summit than most think.