Maps and Guides for the Green Mountains?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
Hey everyone. This summer I'd like to take a week off and explore the Green Mountains in VT. I've never been there before and would like to camp where possible. The problem is I can't seem to find a good guide book or map for the area. I have the Day Hikers Guide to Vermont which is sparse on information and maps.

I found some old threads in the forums here which pretty much say there are no maps equivalent to the AMC's WMG. Is that still true? How can I go about planning a multi day trip in the GMs?

The Green Mountain Club is the best resource for books and maps. Check out their website here, or visit them in Waterbury Ctr.

The two big guidebooks for the Green Mountains are the Day Hikers Guide and the Long Trail Guide. With those two you should pretty much cover all your options.

My standard add in recomendation to the above two books is the Delorme map atlas for Vermont. Quite frequently finding the trailhead in VT is the major part of the hike navigation, especially when doing the day hikers guide hikes. A car type nav system is not really good enough as the back roads dont get a lot of updates and sometimes the roads are seasonal. Frequently the shortest time between two points is frequently not the shortest distance. They also have a lot of the hiking trails shown on the maps which helps finding the trailhead.

I'll grab that second book. It looks like the GMC has a new map that came out last month of Camels Hump. I wonder how much of the GM range that covers?

My standard add in recomendation to the above two books is the Delorme map atlas for Vermont. Quite frequently finding the trailhead in VT is the major part of the hike navigation, especially when doing the day hikers guide hikes. A car type nav system is not really good enough as the back roads dont get a lot of updates and sometimes the roads are seasonal. Frequently the shortest time between two points is frequently not the shortest distance. They also have a lot of the hiking trails shown on the maps which helps finding the trailhead.

Good point. Time permitting, it's also a good idea to scout for the trailhead the day before.

When my wife and I were day-hiking the LT, we'd locate the trailhead for the next section hike after we'd finished in the afternoon.

Be sure to pick up the GMC's 'Vermont's Long Trail' map.

Its a great companion to the Long Trail Guide, shows the trail corridor and lots of surrounding mountains, trails and terrain on either side of the entire Long Trail.

While I have done the Long Trail a couple of times and treasure and revere the Green Mountain Clubs Long Trail Guide..Peakbaggers will find Map Adventures guide to the trails in Northern Vermont the best guide to trailheads and other points of interest as to bagging peaks in Vermont..great map!!

Also, take a look at the map called Vermont's Long Trail, A Footpath in the Wilderness. This map can be purchased through the Green Mountain website for $9.95. It is waterproof, shows trail profiles, lists mileages next to the trails and covers the entire trail, including side trails, from end to end in a very good AT style format.

If you plan to backpack a long distance over the LT you may also be interested in the End-to-Enders Guide. Also from the GMC. This guide details town stops, grocery and resupply stores near the trail, Post Offices for mail drops, car spotters for linear hikes, hostels and other logistical info one would need to hike long sections of the LT.

Oops. Sorry Peakbagr. I didn't notice that you had already recommended the same map. :eek: