Mar 11 & 12 in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kittredge

Reaction score
##### FRIDAY MORNING UPDATE #####

The d*mn weather's being problematic again. Saturday's higher summits forecast is calling for temps in the high 20s and winds between 60 and 80 mph: a tough day to attempt Monroe. So here's what I'm going to do.

6:30 - Breakfast at the Highland Center. Check the forecast yet again.

7:30 - If the omens are favorable, arrive at the Cog Railway lower lot. (White Scion xB). Start up the Ammo bound for Monroe at 7:45. However, if you don't see the Scion, I've decided on ...

8:00 - Field, Willey and (possibly) Tom. Start up the Avalon trail to Field, over and back to Willey and, time and energy permitting, on to Tom.

SUNDAY

6:30 - Breakfast at the Highland Center. (Forecasts currently calling for thunderstorms.) Decide then. Probably Pierce.

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

Might be interested if I can work this out. I'd be coming up from N.J.

Definitely sounds good doing the hike. Only thing is I'd like to campout on Sat night. Have a new 4 season tent and I'd like to get some time in it.

Do you know if there's some place near the bunkhouse where I could set up? (within a mle or so?) I also have to see if I can get off that Fri. and Monday from Work.

I've got all the needed gear, and also good for a moderate pace (moderate 50+ something pace that is..)

Bruce

Thanks,
Bruce

Interesting...

Planning on being up there to hike on the 11th. Have committed to one friend to do Cannon. That friend however, tends to cancel.

Farmer Bob (not the friend who cancels) & I were thinking either still doing Cannon or Tripryamids. Monroe was on the December & January "to do" list but weather dicatated lower protected summits.

I'll check with FB or just have him look at your choices himself. One of us we'll keep checking here.

ClimbHi,

I'm not a camper myself, so I'm not the best source.

There's the Dry River campground a few miles south on 302. And then there's Lafayette camp over in Franconia Notch (30 minutes away). But I just tried googling them and came away with the impression that they're closed in winter. You're probably best off starting a new thread posing the question.

Mike P.,

Cannon's good. I was scheduled to do Monroe two weeks ago on the day it warmed up and rained like hell. The leaders wisely canceled.

Pray for snow

I know that people camp at Lafayette in the Winter - I beleive they have an outhouse there for Winter use. There is also Zealand Campground where I think I have seen people camping in the Winter.

Call the Pemigewasset Ranger at 603-536-1310

Hancock Campground on Kanc is still open

On advise of ranger station I stayed at Hancock in October and at time I recall him saying Hancock and one other (maybe it was Big Rock?) open all winter. Contrary to what you might think, the concessionaire still came around to collect the fees as well. So be prepared to pay $20 which if you're camping solo is a bit steep. Don't know if that means they plow the parking lot or not. Best thing is to contact NF ranger stations listed in White Mt Guide. They can give good advice. We hiked Cannon from Lafayette Place short time ago and road into the campground was gated. We parked in trail head lot outside the campground.

Dry River is closed in winter,but partially plowed,and we camped there without a problem in winter. There's also Fourth Iron Tentsite just down the road,and it may have parking plowed.

Bob,

my plans changed so I only have time for Cannon even though one of the guys bailed. SO I'm staying at Lyon's on 3/10 & hitting Cannon early.

Bob, my wife may not have tickets for teh dance on Saturday or Farmer Bob & I may see you on the Ammo trailhead. I'll PM you with details, (probably a few times this week!)

I'd be interested in knowning your plans for Sunday, 3/12. I'll be out and about that day and would like to know if I'll be seeing you on the trails again.

Sounds like a plan, will check the weather. Farmer Bob & I may start a little before but will purposely take our time especially above Gem Pool.

I'll have a red Forester with 1 AMC sticker, 2 VFTT stickers, 2 child car seats & CT plates.

I'll be the 6' in a fleece shirt & Khaki hiking pants unless teh forecast is for much colder temps or it's raining. Farmer Bob is 6'2" or three with Leki Poles & likely G-Tex pants

My wife and I, and possibly a few friends will be hiking the Field/Tom loop on the 12th. Plans are still up in the air. Look for us anyway. I'm easy to recognize since I look just like my avatar. ;)

Note to Bob and 10 Peaks

Bob ... I'm signed up for AMC Tripyramid Hike with Mohamed Ellozy for Saturday 3/11. I couldn't get in the Shapliegh Bunkhouse so I booked for more costly bunk room in Highland Ctr. Unfortunately this includes dinner and no way to deduct it. If you and crew decide to dine out together after your hike, may i suggest doing Highland Ctr for mere $18??? I don't know if they serve beer. That would be important. Otherwise I'll leave word at the desk or you'll see me lurking in the lounge. Otherwise I'll see you at breakfast at 6:30 sunday morning at which point perhaps we can join Ten peaks for a walk on the Willey Range. :confused:

Jazzbo said:
If you and crew decide to dine out together after your hike, may i suggest doing Highland Ctr for mere $18??? I don't know if they serve beer.

The dinners there are very good - they do server beer and wine.

Maybe we should just carpool?

Bob

Thinking I should cancel on AMC and we can carpool? Lets talk tonight by phone. I'm working now and can't think about it further. Gotta go. By the way it's my birthday today!!!! Happy birthday to me!

Just in case Mohamed and Albert are monitoring

FYI Contrary to my previous post, carpooling with Bob is not going to happen so I will be participating with Mohamed and Albert's AC hike to Tripyramids. See you all at 8:00 at rendezvous point on Sat. Weather forcast sounds like we should add shorts and sunscreen to the equipment list.

Farmer Bob & I will meet you either at HC or at trailhead. Winds high 65-85 in AM decreasing to 45-65 in late afternoon. At least as of this AM....

Worth a shot, & how when we get near hut wind is closer to 45