Marine Band Radio

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxs

Reaction score
I am in the market for a marine band radio. I do a fair amount of paddling by myself. About a year ago, I got into a bit of trouble. Luckily, i was able to get back to the launch site safely but I was exhausted by the time I got back. Situation gave me reason to pause; what would have happened if I could not get back on my own. Hence the need for a radio. I don't need anything too expense or with alot of bells and whistles. I just need to be able to call the CG if necessary. ( I work for the CG so I can imagine the heckling I would get if I needed a rescue LOL)

I have a Uniden MHS550 which I got at a good price from a mailorder place in CT awhile ago, it's got a gazillion bands, from NOAA weatherbands to even AM/FM radio (which I didn't think I'd need but find myself using) and of course, the usual Coast Guard emergency freqs and the normal channels. It has different power ratings from 1W, 2.5W to 5W.

ICOM seems to be the industry standard and is popular, can't fault the unidem and I haven't had to actually use it before (other than the radio and AM/FM). My one comment on it is it doesn't float, and the antenna is quite long and depending on where you put it (it comes with a large clip that I stick on my PFD shoulderpad), the antenna kind of interfers with my paddling hat if I'm wearing it and when I turn my hat will hit the antenna.. This is of course dependent on the hat and your PFD though..

Jay

I've had an ICOM M72 for several seasons. Paddle Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence River with the radio.

M72 has been great in the above locations, with absolutely no problems with unit in the radio pocket of my PFD, without a dry bag.

However, I have no experience with the M72 in salt water.

Mike