Marty Engstom has passed away

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
For those growing up in Maine, Marty was the radio engineer on top of Mt Washington who did the live broadcast from the summit. He had a distinct Western Maine accent and definitely was a memorable character. Some folks thought he was a "hick" due to his accent, but he was a skilled engineer/mechanic that kept the generators and transmitters running on top of Mt Washington no matter what the weather. On occasion during his live broadcast, the resident cat at the summit would hop down on the desk in front of the camera.

Growing up in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont in the 60’s I remember watching the weather on channel 8. Marty’s sign off was unforgettable.

Growing up in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont in the 60’s I remember watching the weather on channel 8. Marty’s sign off was unforgettable.
So sorry to here this. Yes Marty was definitely an electronics kind of guy. He was also a Ham Radio Operator here in the MWV. I spoke with him many times almost always off of The Mt. Washington repeater. I always thought it was so kool he had spent so much time on the summit and now he was bouncing his voice off of it from the valley. In Ham Radio terms he will now be called a "Silent Key". Which refers to the keying device on a two way radio that sends Morse Code will now be silent from that operator and station. Godspeed! 73's!

Attachments

• Marty.jpg
    Marty.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So sorry to here this. Yes Marty was definitely an electronics kind of guy. He was also a Ham Radio Operator here in the MWV. I spoke with him many times almost always off of The Mt. Washington repeater. I always thought it was so kool he had spent so much time on the summit and now he was bouncing his voice off of it from the valley. In Ham Radio terms he will now be called a "Silent Key". Which refers to the keying device on a two way radio that sends Morse Code will now be silent from that operator and station. Godspeed! 73's!
Do you remember his call?

The MWOBS Facebook Page (I believe via one of Marty's daughters ??) posted a request looking for old footage of Marty doing the weather and various ads he did throughout his lifetime (Fryeburg Fair and some others were mentioned). I expect if there is anyone out there that might have footage of Marty they'd be on this forum. FYI. The family would really appreciate it.

Marty’s sign off was unforgettable.
Growing up in Penacook (Concord), Ch. 8 was one of the few we could get. The sign-off still sticks in my head, too. "And nooow, bahk to you, Tom" (deadpan for 2-3 seconds, then big toothy grin). A New England legend, for sure.

skiguy, thanks for that info. as I thought he was also a ham, but wasn't sure. Never had the pleasure of working him.

Think it's time I get his book.

BTW, Marty usually handed it back to Tom Elliman who was WMTW weatherman in the 1970s which corresponded to the years I tended to watch the local news (mostly pre cable). Tom eventually ran NH Motorspeedway. WMTW was always the "poor stepchild" in the southern Maine media market as the station was supposed to be centered in Lewiston Auburn, their first studios were in Poland Spring at the resort. What they had was broadcast range since they broadcast from Mt Washington so for lots of rural folks over a wide area it was their only reliable station. When I moved up to Gorham in 1987 there was no cable in my neighborhood, so I had an antenna on a rotor. I got three ABC station and a PBS station but I rarely could watch channel 8 as I got several distinct reflections off local mountains. I usually watched channel 3 in VT that broadcast from Mt Mansfield. I also got an ABC station out of Bangor (not sure where the tower was).

Growing up in St Johnsbury, before cable we only received 2 stations, channel 3, WCAX broadcast from Mt Mansfield and channel 8,WMTW, broadcast from Mt Washington.

Growing up in St Johnsbury, before cable we only received 2 stations, channel 3, WCAX broadcast from Mt Mansfield and channel 8,WMTW, broadcast from Mt Washington.
This was my experience as well growing up in Pittsfield, except that we could also get a Channel 6 which was broadcast (IIRC) as an NBC affiliate.

BTW, Marty usually handed it back to Tom Elliman who was WMTW weatherman in the 1970s which corresponded to the years I tended to watch the local news (mostly pre cable). Tom eventually ran NH Motorspeedway. WMTW was always the "poor stepchild" in the southern Maine media market as the station was supposed to be centered in Lewiston Auburn, their first studios were in Poland Spring at the resort. What they had was broadcast range since they broadcast from Mt Washington so for lots of rural folks over a wide area it was their only reliable station. When I moved up to Gorham in 1987 there was no cable in my neighborhood, so I had an antenna on a rotor. I got three ABC station and a PBS station but I rarely could watch channel 8 as I got several distinct reflections off local mountains. I usually watched channel 3 in VT that broadcast from Mt Mansfield. I also got an ABC station out of Bangor (not sure where the tower was).
Living in the mountains certainly can present it's challenges. I had a great signal from WMTW when they were transmitting from The Rockpile here in The MWV. Ironically when they moved the antenna to West Baldwin significantly closer to where I live I could barely receive the channel due to living in the shadow of a mountain within direct line of the new antenna. In those days one had to be creative getting terrestrial signals especially on a cheap household budget. WMTW (TV) - Wikipedia

Attachments

• Foil.jpg
    Foil.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0