Massachusetts Mandatory PFD?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz

Reaction score
I heard through the grapevine that his bill got through the legislature on Friday. "Canoes" was recently added under the cover of darkness. Apparently, it is now on the way to the Governor's desk and Common Sense is out the window.

All canoeists and kayakers are required to wear a type I, II, III or V PFD at all times.

If you are not happy with this you can contact the Governor at:

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=gov3utilities&sid=Agov3&U=Agov3_contact_us

AN ACT RELATIVE TO KAYAK SAFETY.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court
assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:
SECTION 1. Section 1 of Chapter 90B of the General laws, as appearing in the
2008 Official Edition, is hereby amended by inserting the following definitions: -
“Canoe”, a narrow, light boat with its sides meeting in a point at each end and is
moved by one or more paddles
“Kayak”, a lightweight boat that is covered, except for a single or double opening
in the center thereof, and is propelled by a paddle.
SECTION 2. Said Chapter 90B is hereby further amended by inserting after
section 13A the following section:-
SECTION13b. Anyone who holds himself out as a kayak instructor for hire shall
obtain and maintain:
(i) First aid training approved by the department of public health;
(ii) Cardiopulmonary resuscitation training approved by the department of public
health; and
(iii) Kayak instructor certification from the American Canoe Association,
American Red Cross certification in small craft safety and basic water rescue, or
equivalent water training.
The instructor shall train students on the safety procedures appropriate to the level
of paddling difficulty. Wet exit training, which is defined as the practice of
escaping from a kayak while capsized in a controlled water setting, shall be
required of all beginners and novice level operators who use an attached “spray
skirt” during any part of the kayak instructional session.
A liability release that limits an instructor’s responsibility to comply with this
section shall be void.
SECTION 3. Chapter 90B of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2008 official
edition, is hereby amended by inserting after section 5B the following new
section:-
Section 5C. Every person aboard a canoe or kayak, as defined in this chapter, shall
wear at all times a coast guard approved personal floatation device of type I, II, III
or V in good and serviceable condition.

Unnecessary Legislation

Apparently, the State House is getting an ear full over this. Keep the calls coming!

(I digress, but you know, this poorly worded attempt at making a law has been kicking around the State House for more that 5 years. How the hell much did it cost to define a kayak and a canoe? My god what a freaking waste of resources!!)

In the meantime, consider this:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/lif...-some-reas,95/

Massachusetts was also, I believe, involved with trying to make all kayakers (and canoers?) paddle with a flag on the deck for supposedly visibility reasons...

Jay

Massachusetts was also, I believe, involved with trying to make all kayakers (and canoers?) paddle with a flag on the deck for supposedly visibility reasons...

Jay
Some sort of visible device may not be a bad idea depending on where you paddle but I tend to avoid those places and would not want to carry one elsewhere.

I think wearing PFDs should be mandatory under certain conditions. Having one per person on board is required on waters in all jurisdictions that I am familiar with.

NJ is similar, motorboats and sailboats, the only requirement is to have one PFD per person, unless the person is 12 or under, then the person must wear one.

Kayaks/Canoes though require the person to wear one.

The flag can be a good idea, but then most kayakers I know tend not to like too much stuff on the deck as it affects the wind and also affects ones' ability to roll. I usually have reflective tape on my paddles and like you, tend to stay away from busy places. Sometimes though it is unavoidable...

Jay

Cold Water PFD

Massachusetts already has a perfectly reasonable Cold Water PFD reg on the books. You are required to wear a PFD from September 15 to May 15. The girls that were killed prompting this bill chose to ignore, or were not aware of, this regulation.

Most paddlers I know have no issue with the Cold Water PFD.

It makes it easier to find the body.