Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow (Wildcats, 05-Feb-2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Wildcats via 19 Mile Brook Trail, Wildcat Ridge Trail, Polecat Ski Trail, 8 miles, 3100 feet, 5:30
Tim, Bob, Tom, and Dave

I met Bob & Tom at Tarry Ho and we carpooled to 19 Mile Brook Trail where we met Dave. After spotting Dave's vehicle at the ski area, we returned to 19MBT and were on our way up by 9:15. 19MBT was, as expected, very well packed. Microspikes were perfect here as there were some areas of ice where the drainages cross the trail. About the area where the Wildcat A slide runs out, there were some smaller drifts but nothing warranting snowshoes yet. The drifts were obviously created by the wind which was blowing good beginning in this area. Once on the Wildcat Ridge Trail, conditions were prime for snowshoes and we made the switch just below the slide. Somewhere here we followed a rogue snowshoe track, leaving the trail, and bushwhacking up the gully. Except towards the top, it wasn't too thick, but the last bit had some pretty thick and obnoxious spruce, so be careful not to miss that sharp left.

Carter Dome, Baldfaces (both from Wildcat A summit)

Back on the trail things leveled out and there were views of the Presidentials through the trees. Ten minutes later and we hit the summit proper. The view from the "vista" was fine with only a few light puffy clouds. After a few photos we retreated back to the shelter of the trees and had a snack before heading for B and C. Trail conditions remained quite good and we continued on in snowshoes. Popping out on top of C we had nearly 360 degree views due to the snow pack. If you are into butt sliding, put on your slippery pants now, as the there are three or four good stretches.

Panorama taken descending from C peak, D and E visible in the left foreground.

I remember the stretch between peaks as being steep and rough when I did this stretch in August 2008. It is still steep, but so much smoother and easier on the knees with the snow pack. We passed a couple (Bob and Irene) that Bob (Bob n Geri Bob) recognized from an encounter on Washington and chatted with them for a while. Bob and I pulled ahead a bit on the final climb to the platform where we enjoyed the views of Washington, while at the same time we were glad not to be experiencing the winds up there. Shortly Dave, Tom, Bob and Irene joined us. Bob and Irene were planning to head back but jumped on the car spot and followed us down the ski trail instead.

Washington and ravines from D Peak, Adams and Madison from D Peak

I can't remember ever skiing Wildcat, but on a clear day like today the views would have to be part of the attraction. We followed Polecat all the way down, encountering maybe two dozen skiers and riders on the way.

Carters, Washington (both from Polecat)

All Photos

Tim

As always Tim, your report is super! It's brief, concise, informative, and well-written. Also, you got some terrific photos. That last snapshot would be a very nice one for the folks at Wildcat to use in a brochure or on their website!