Middle and S. Carter Loop - 1 day before Presi Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeycrew

Reaction score
So I'll admit this is one of my more uneventful trip reports. I had agreed to do the Presidential Traverse on Sunday with MEB so I decided that I should bag a couple peaks with my friend Laurel the day before... as a warm up.

We did the traditional route to Middle and South Carter of Imp Trail to North Carter Trail to Carter-Moriah Ridge to Carter Dome trail to Nineteen Mile Brook Trail. We were surprised by the large number of people we had to pass on our way up to Imp Face. But generally the trip was quite good most of the way. My only complain about the trail was a large blow down on Carter-Moriah that required stomping off path to get around.

The sparkling bog boards thanks to mica left by peoples boots were very impressive to two girls in their early twenties ("ooooh sparkly"), and the parts of the Carter ridgeline with views in both directions definately reminded me why I love that side of Pinkham notch. The views of the Presis in the clouds were spectacular. Of course I assumed that the clouds would clear up in time for my hike the next day.

Ended up bagging #37 and #38 (and taking lots of pictures of us with the signs) and heading back to the car without much incident, ready to get up at 3am and start all over again. So about 12 miles of hiking before a Presi Traverse... explains why my knee decided I should back out at Pierce though.

I have one question though. I noticed a dam on Nineteen Mile brook with a structure on the other side of it (I've done that trail so many times and never asked). Anyone know more about it?