Middle Hope; No-Hope; Hope-less . . . Whatever! (20-Apr-2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
There's a branch off the Montalban Ridge called the Bemis Ridge which includes the named peaks of Mt. Crawford, Mt. Hope, Hart Ledge, and technically it also includes Cave Mountain in Bartlett. The Bemis Ridge also includes an unnamed peak (approx. 2,180 ft elev.) that is situated between Mt. Hope and Hart Ledge. Since this peak has no name, the title of this Trip Report includes some lighthearted suggestions for a name for this little guy. For the purposes of this report, I've decided to use the name Middle Hope as a way of referring to this peak.

There are no trails to what I'm calling Middle Hope, and not only that, there are no trails that are relatively close. There are several options for bushwhacking to this little mountain. I opted to begin on the Davis Path and hike less than 10 minutes to the first brook crossing. Here, I left the trail and headed southward for a couple of miles, and then headed eastward up the ridge that leads to Middle Hope.

At this time of year, regardless of whether you're doing an on-trail or an off-trail hike there are lots of eye-catching things to see before you even get to your destination. I'm referring specifically to the wild flowers that are now in bloom. On my trek to Middle Hope, there were yellow violets, purple violets, trillium, and trout lily. Below is a collage of photos taken of these flowers during my trek.
Collage.jpg

But, of all the flowers seen along the way, the one shown below was my favorite. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is called a Spring Beauty.
SpringBeauty.JPG

Besides enjoying the numerous wildflowers along the way, it was also very enjoyable just walking through the open woods en route to Middle Hope. The photo below shows a particularly attractive section of woods looking down a corridor of what I presume is a very old logging road.
OpenWoods.JPG

Most of my bushwhack was done well to the east of the Saco River, but at one point I decided to go down to the river bank and snap a few photos, such as the one shown below.
Saco_River.JPG

I eventually came to the ridge leading up to Middle Hope. Up until this point, no snow had been encountered. Thankfully, my snow-free trek continued all the way to the top of Middle Hope, except for a few isolated patches of snow here & there.

The photos below were taken from ledges on and near the summit of Middle Hope. Perhaps they will give some sense of the views from there. You'll notice that it's rather overcast and cloudy in some of these snapshots. It was supposed to be mostly sunny. It wasn't!
It wasn't supposed to rain. It did!

Sawyer River Valley with Mt Tremont on the left
SawyerRiverValley.JPG

A View toward Attitash
Attitash.JPG

Mt. Resolution (on left) to Mt. Parker (on right)
MtsResolution_Parker.JPG

Mt. Willey in a Rain Shower (it eventually reached me on Middle Hope)
MtWilley.JPG

Mt. Hope (on left) along with small tip of Mt. Washington on the horizon
MtsHope_Washington.JPG

After doing this trek, I had a wee bit of time left, and so I decided to drive the short distance down to Sawyer River Road to check out something that I'd spotted on a topo map. There's a snowmobile trail on the east side of Rt. 302, directly across from the entrance to Sawyer River Road. If you follow the snowmobile trail for a few hundred feet, you cross the railroad tracks. Just slightly beyond the railroad tracks is this pond. Does anyone know anything about this body of water? Is this a naturally occurring body of water, or is it man-made?

The photo below shows a portion of the pond, and also visible in this photo is Middle Hope! It's the small peak in the middle (of course:)) of the photo, and Mt. Hope is on the left. You can actually see this pond toward the bottom right of another photo (above) in this report which is labeled as: "Sawyer River Valley with Mt Tremont on the left".

"Mystery" Pond on east side Route 302 opposite Sawyer River Road
UnknownPond.JPG

My trek to Middle Hope was a fun adventure. And, it marked a milestone, albeit a very minor one. I've now hiked to all the peaks along this Bemis Ridge from Cave Mountain to Mt. Crawford. However, I've not hiked the entire ridgeline that connects these peaks. And although that might be an interesting adventure, it's one that I doubt I'll ever undertake. I'm quite content with the separate stand-alone hikes I've done to each of the peaks along the Bemis Ridge.

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Wow, well done again! I think I know which peak you are talking about...possibly this one? Again, I love the pics, and the Saco River one is amazing.

784858746_eEXRh-L.jpg

the one with the sprucey (not a word) top
784858791_dRB9k-L.jpg

In fact, your Mt Willey rainshower almost looks like this one I took, from the Davis Path. I think I might be looking towards where you bushwhacked?

784857910_dsSXs-L.jpg

I remember seeing the "Middle Hope" summit ahead of me on the Davis Path, and I thought that was the summit of Mt Crawford. "Not that high" I thought.... :) Then when I looked down on it...I just had to take a couple pics...thinking, whoops I was way off. haha

grouseking

Edit....at least I think that's the peak you did.....now that I'm looking at your other pics, and matching them up with my pics from Mt Crawford, I'm not entirely sure...

Last edited:
Hey Phil . . . thanks for your reply.

I could be wrong, but I think that the photos of the peak with the "sprucey" top are of Mt. Hope rather than the Middle Hope peak. Perhaps someone else on this Forum has an actual photo, but all I can show you is a GoogleEarth "snapshot" which roughly shows how this peak might appear from a vantage point somewhat similar to where you took the "sprucey" top photo.
Google.jpg

Hey John

I think you are correct...the more I looked at the views I was seeing from Crawford, and comparing them to yours, the more I think it is prob Mt Hope. Still, I remember looking at that peak, and saying..."look, there's the summit of Crawford! Almost there....that was fast!!" ;) Then the trail turned away from it and climbed with authority....oh well. All I did was tick off my hiking pal who was ready to summit. :)

That's another great report, John! I've been wanting to wander up to Mount Hope for quite some time now after hearing about it from you last year, and Hart Ledge has intrigued me as well. Good to see there are all sorts of sights to be found on the way!

Grouseking, I almost think your photo is of the neat ledgy west spur of Mount Crawford that overlooks the highway. I made a note of that spot last autumn when I was wandering around Crawford Notch - almost made a go for it but the scrub and some rain made me bail.

Wow...what a nice hike...and the wildflowers are amazing. What a fertile area. Would you mind adding them to the wildflower thread...we haven't had many posts from in the whites, and this seems early for this area...good doccumentation!

That's another great report, John! I've been wanting to wander up to Mount Hope for quite some time now after hearing about it from you last year, and Hart Ledge has intrigued me as well.
Chris, I think you would really enjoy exploring the Bemis Ridge southern peaks (Mt. Hope; Hart Ledge, and of course "Middle Hope", or "Little Hope", or "Hope-less" . . . or whatever!:D

And, of course, I was turned on to the southern peaks of the Bemis Ridge by none other than Steve Smith who has explored darn near every 'nook & cranny' of the Whites!
Wow...what a nice hike...and the wildflowers are amazing. What a fertile area. Would you mind adding them to the wildflower thread...
Jim, at your request, the Spring Flower Thread now includes the flower photos that I took during this trek. I'm flattered that you felt my snapshots were good enough to be added.

Chris, I think you would really enjoy exploring the Bemis Ridge southern peaks (Mt. Hope; Hart Ledge, and of course "Middle Hope", or "Little Hope", or "Hope-less" . . . or whatever!:D

And, of course, I was turned on to the southern peaks of the Bemis Ridge by none other than Steve Smith who has explored darn near every 'nook & cranny' of the Whites!

Jim, at your request, the Spring Flower Thread now includes the flower photos that I took during this trek. I'm flattered that you felt my snapshots were good enough to be added.

Thanks john! And while I do love the shots...I prefer that thread to be about chronology of sitings and location than artistry. Its a great resource to go back through them through the years. Please post often..even if you don't have pics, especially for new blooms and passings!

I love that view of the Sawyer River Valley! I've spent a lot of time in there and it's cool to see it from a different perspective.
Kevin . . . thanks for your reply.

It is nice to see familiar places from different perspectives. It was a treat for me as well to see the Sawyer River Valley from the vantage point there on Middle Hope.

In that same photo, I also liked seeing Mt. Tremont from that particular vantage point since I spend some time on Mt. Tremont attempting to maintain that trail. I say "attempting to maintain" because it's a real challenge to keep up with the numerous large blowdowns that seem to happen a lot on that trail!

I thoroughly enjoy your photos John! It'll be interesting to see how the scenery changes mid week given the forecast. Loved your shots of the wildflowers. We saw red trillium down this way on North Pack last Saturday. It really is a beautiful flower. Your shot of the river was also excellent! I could almost hear and feel the water flowing in that shot. :)