Middle Jay? North Jay? NE Glastenbury? N Glastenbury?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacknblue

Reaction score
Apparently Jay Peak has roughly 273 sub-peaks. Who knew? Between Big Jay, Little Jay, Medium Jay, NNW Jay, and ENE Little Jay Spur, I'm a little confused. :confused:

But, I think I have identified them all on my handy topo map, except for Middle Jay and North Jay. Is Middle Jay also referred to as Doll Peak, which the LT seems to cross? (named after Charles Doll, who cut the LT from Jay to Canada) If so, is North Jay the peak just to the north that the LT misses? Is there an obvious herd path to North Jay then? (It seems like a short distance off the LT.) And are they both 'official' peaks, because it looks like the col is pretty shallow between them?

While we're at it, which bumps on my topo maps represent N Glastenbury and NE Glastenbury?

North Jay is the peak just north of Doll Peak. There was not a herd path to the summit from the LT that we saw. When I was going through the LT in that section, a fellow hiker did the North Jay bushwhack (I did not.) The spot he went in, at least, did not have a herd path... nor did I see one elsewhere and I was looking. However, I defer on that to anyone who has actually done the bushwhack. :)

If you get a copy of the 3K list, it has the coordinates for all of the peaks... makes it helpful for sorting out all those Glastenbury bumps and determining which ones the LT hits.

- Ivy

Middle Jay is indeed the same as Doll Peak. The LT goes over the summit and there is a small sign there.

North Jay is about a 0.3-0.5 mile bushwhack off the LT. There was no herd path, although we did come across a property boundary line of blazes along the way that helped a bit. You can see the peak as you're descending north from Middle Jay, and the bushwhack starts in a flattish area. It goes through an open moose yard first, then there is a small section of blowdowns that you can easily climb over. Finally, there is a short thicker section before the peak. (Nothing difficult by any means.) Bring a spare pencil as there wasn't one in the jar when we were there in the spring.

If you really want a challenge, head down the ridge from Middle Jay and try for West Jay. it is a fun ridgewalk through mostly open woods for about 2 miles to the jar. Figuring out how to get down from there is the hard part!

I was on N. Jay Peak last summer. The summit jar needed some serious maintenence at that time. I too ran into the boundry line that was cut just below the summit (I think you have to cross it to get to the summit).

All in all, when I was up there, I found no herdpath at all.

Here is a picture about halfway through the wack, in a major blowdown area.

North Jay was one of the peaks I bagged during my big trip through northern Vermont back in June. It's 0.3 miles off the LT, where initially it's almost open woods (if you pick your spots), then passes through an open blowdown area where the trees thicken up and stay that way for a fair amount of the remainder of the way to the summit. Having hiked up the LT from Route 242, I was wearing shorts, but the vegetation is thick enough that I wouldn't recommend this. I think the jar has been replaced since elhefe007a was up there, since it was in okay shape during my visit. I don't have a specific memory of whether I found a pencil in the jar when I got there, but since I always carry canister replacement supplies with me, that jar didn't lack for anything once I departed that summit.

While in the area, another easy 3k to bag is Gilpin. It's a little less than 0.3 off the trail, through woods that are almost open (but since I traipsed through there in shorts that morning, my memory might be a littler harsher than it should be).

Last edited:
Pamola said:
N and NE Glastenbury are a decent distance away from the main peak N is the one at the bottom (3412').

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=43.04015&lon=-73.02184&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

The LT as shown on the topo map is way off the mark, the summit is much further uphill and much further to the east than is depicted. This was one of the "stranger" 3k's for me, my compass behaved weirdly, and the actual topographical conditions on the ground did not match up with what the map shows. One interesting aspect was finding some sections of the old LT which used to go over the summit.

dms said:
The LT as shown on the topo map is way off the mark, the summit is much further uphill and much further to the east than is depicted. This was one of the "stranger" 3k's for me, my compass behaved weirdly, and the actual topographical conditions on the ground did not match up with what the map shows. One interesting aspect was finding some sections of the old LT which used to go over the summit.
When I first hiked the LT it did go over the summit :)

And I heard a rumor that it's been relocated back

Glastonbury Peaks

I recall all but one of the many Glastonbury's was trailed but it is a bit of challenge to the intrepid 4wd adventurer to get vehicles suitably spotted to get the 3 more southern peaks in one hike.

bill bowden said:
I recall all but one of the many Glastonbury's was trailed but it is a bit of challenge to the intrepid 4wd adventurer to get vehicles suitably spotted to get the 3 more southern peaks in one hike.
I disagree

main has many trails, I've done 6 trailed routes to/from and still have a couple left

N once had a trail

SW, SE, and NE never had trails

-rs

Glastonburys

Roy:

I know you keep notes and I don't and it was years ago as well. My recall:
NE Glastonbury
N Glastonbury
by short buswhacks from LT; recall encounter with hunter on way in.

E and W by walks along old roads with short BW to East.
Am I totally imagining things?

bill bowden said:
Am I totally imagining things?
Yes :)
NE Glastonbury
N Glastonbury
by short buswhacks from LT; recall encounter with hunter on way in.
NE is a short but steep BW
N used to have LT with feet of the top
E and W by walks along old roads with short BW to East.
SE is short BW from present Long Trail
SW is short BW from West Ridge Trail (former LT)
You can reach them more quickly via old roads rather than LT from Rte.9

SE, SW and the main peak are very easily done in less than a day. Jim C. and I found an old road coming in from Rte. 9 that took us within 100 feet of the West Ridge Trail, at a point between the main peak and the SW peak.