Moats Traverse 4/5/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobichaud

Reaction score
Myself and a group of four others did a traverse of the Moats from north to south, all on the Moat Mountain Trail. The trail started and ended as a skating rink, with a lot of ice on the trail, microspikes (or equivalent) were the traction of choice here. Above the Attitash Trail junction, snow depth increased, and the trail steepened significantly. Back and forth, through open areas, then diving into the woods, all the way to North Moat, where the views were fantastic. Almost everyone switched to snowshoes on North Moat, and we wore them on and off until South Moat. Between the peaks, the snow is still 3 to 4 feet deep in the woods, and you find yourself hiking in the canopy. South Moat was equally impressive, with great views to Conway, the Lakes Region, and the Sandwich Range. Descending the south side was tricky, as it was a mix of bare rock, wet rock, ice, and snow. Two in our group ended up following the National Forest boundary out to Passaconaway Road, as the Moat Mountain Trail itself is sparsely marked.

A great day in the mountains, with great people, thanks for celebrating my birthday with me!

Here's the whole report, with pictures.

Cheers!