Monadnock: Last Trail Report Until Fall

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonadnockVol

Reaction score
Mountain: Mt. Monadnock

Date of hike: Thursday, April 17, 2008

Trails hiked (in alphabetical order):

Amphitheater
Cascade Link
Cliff Walk
Do Drop
Harling
Lost Farm
Noble
Parker
Pumpelly
Red Spot
Smith Connecting Link
Spellman
Thoreau
White Cross
White Dot

Some of you have noticed that I've been on a mission this winter to provide frequent, reliable reports of the trail conditions on this popular mountain. For the last month I have been hiking elsewhere, but today I came back to Grand Monadnock to see how spring was coming along.

I meandered around the mountain, hiking all or some portion of every trail listed above. I found that there were still pockets of snow and ice but I never found any spot that was not easily done in bare boots. Even the Spellman which tends to be one of the trickier trails on the mountain did not require any sort of traction device.

Since I have never seen the point of trail condition reports when there isn't snow and ice, I won't post any more of them until the fall (unless there is a freak storm or something).

I wanted to mention one thing as we come into the spring season: the rangers at the park work very hard to limit the erosion caused by over 100,000 visitors a year. Many people are good about staying on trail until the trails get muddy. But when they are muddy and the ground is soft is the one time of the year when it is most important to stay on them.

Cheers,
Monadnock Volunteer (aka Steve)

Last edited:
Solitary said:
Thanks for all the reports. I found them useful.

You're most welcome. So Solitary, I've notice that you've really been posting up a storm: you've got almost 1/2 as many posts as me and I've been a member since 2003!

MonadnockVol said:
You're most welcome. So Solitary, I've notice that you've really been posting up a storm: you've got almost 1/2 as many posts as me and I've been a member since 2003!

So are you sorry you sponsored my membership? :(

Actually, I don't intend to keep posting at this rate. I'm just trying to get to 50 posts so I can spread some "reputation" around to you and others! :)

Solitary said:
So are you sorry you sponsored my membership? :(

Nope. Just giving you a hard time.

Solitary said:
Actually, I don't intend to keep posting at this rate. I'm just trying to get to 50 posts so I can spread some "reputation" around to you and others! :)

Well the posts have been great. Judging from the response, I think you really tapped a need with the "women and hiking" thread.