Monadnock on New Years Day

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weird_AL

Reaction score
I'm going to be hiking Monadnock on new years, just wondering if anyone else has been up in the past few days, what the conditions are and if anyone else is going that day?

Thanks

I ended up going and the weather was so less sever than I ever thought possible, there were some icy spots on the way up and i did use crampons, but it was a gorgeous sunny day!!

Happy New Years!!

oh yeah, and here is a picture too.

How were the crowds? I was actually so frigging confused by the weather that I didn't do a freakin' thing today. Could've skiid at Wachusett in the slush, could've mountain biked at Leominster SF, could've hiked a myriad of things within 2 hours of here, but I was JUST TOO FREAKIN' CONFUSED!!!!

At least the cats got some quality time in the enclosure.......

Mark

Yes, I was confused by the weather too..I pictured myself being this lone hiker on a whiteout blizzard consumed moutain top, but it was anything but...the crowds certainly weren't bad for the monadnock phenomenon...maybe saw 15 other hikers today.

All in all, it was great, I hiked a new trail (cascade link) made a new friend ( 2 X chromosone type) , and realized that hiking in crampons when it changes from ice to rock every ten feet is not the funnest. :rolleyes:

Sounds like it was a good day on the Grand! Don't feel too bad about the crampon dilemma -- it's one of the maxims of hiking Monadnock in the winter -- and just one of the many maddening, confusing "charms" of winter in the gravity sports in New England.

Mark -- mountain biking tomorow, skiing tomorrow night and Monday.