Canines at altitude.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
In September, me and my dog Shay aka the Boy Wonder are heading to CO. Nothing crazy planned, my goal is 13k and maybe an easy 14er, although that's low on my expectation list. Just want to have fun and hike and visit some mountain towns. My question is, has anyone ever gone up to 13k with their dog? My dog can hike for sure, but he's never left New England. I plan to acclimate in two days and watch how he does but was curious if anyone here had taken their dog up high before.

Well, since nobody has chimed in, I will, even though I am not a dog owner. I have seen dogs out here at altitudes approaching 12K since that is the highest I have hiked so far. When I did a couple of 14ers, years ago, I never saw any dogs, and one of those was an easy hike (Elbert). From what I have read, dogs can and do get altitude sickness at elevations above 8K and experience some of the same symptoms as humans...nausea, dehydration, etc. There is lots of info on this subject available on the web. Also, it probably varies greatly with the individual dog just like it does with people. Have a great trip.

I lived in CO and have climbed many13ers and 14ers with my dog. He has no problems but I lived at 7500’ so no acclimating necessary. I have heard of low elevation visitors having sluggish dogs when they arrive. Acclimate in Leadville or Similar elevation a day if you can and let your dog drink like you are hiking a 100 degree day. Also be liberal with treats and food would be my recommendation. Lots of people climb 14ers with their dogs but I’m assuming most are already from at least a mile high. My dog has done some 20ish mile days with multiple peaks in Colorado.

I hiked Telescope Peak a few times, and to Trail Camp on Whitney several times with my Newf. He was an experienced hiker and eventually got to the point where he let me know his limits.

I lived in CO and have climbed many13ers and 14ers with my dog. He has no problems but I lived at 7500’ so no acclimating necessary. I have heard of low elevation visitors having sluggish dogs when they arrive. Acclimate in Leadville or Similar elevation a day if you can and let your dog drink like you are hiking a 100 degree day. Also be liberal with treats and food would be my recommendation. Lots of people climb 14ers with their dogs but I’m assuming most are already from at least a mile high. My dog has done some 20ish mile days with multiple peaks in Colorado.
Thank you. I plan to stay in Colorado Springs for two days and make a few trips up to 10k or so, to get him acclimated. I specifically planned my trip for mid-September because my dog is a killer in the cold weather, and he does not excel in the heat. I realize it's possible to get snow high at that point, but we both climb in winter conditions so no big deal, I'm bringing everything.

I hiked Telescope Peak a few times, and to Trail Camp on Whitney several times with my Newf. He was an experienced hiker and eventually got to the point where he let me know his limits.
I met Brutus just below the summit of Falling Waters one day years ago. I'm not connected to the inner circle of hikers, but I know who people are and he was easily recognizable. He was an incredibly impressive hiking dog and me and him got along great when we met. Back then, I didn't have a dog and I would be envious whenever I saw a hiker with a great dog. I'm on my second hiking dog now and it's a dream come true for a soloist.

Thank you. I plan to stay in Colorado Springs for two days and make a few trips up to 10k or so, to get him acclimated. I specifically planned my trip for mid-September because my dog is a killer in the cold weather, and he does not excel in the heat. I realize it's possible to get snow high at that point, but we both climb in winter conditions so no big deal, I'm bringing everything
I regularly headed out in Sept and generally stuff melts off pretty quick that time of year by afternoon, even at high elevations since the sun at elevation is so intense. Most rain events in the valley have at least some white in them in High Rockies that time of year though. The monsoon is done typically before mid September. I’ve had 6-10” at my house at 7500’ in the first week of October. I also climbed Pikes Peak in trail runners and gaiters in a particularly dry winter. Colorado weather is very predictable 95% of the time. The other 5% you can have literally any kind of weather, any time of the year when Mother Nature wants to keep you on your toes.

We saw plenty of dogs on easy 14ers on our recent trip to CO, even a brown lab going for Torreys's Kelso ridge (the guy looked like an experienced climber, kinco gloves repaired with duct tape).