Monadnock, Vermont or ‘How to hide a mountain’

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
Maybe I should ask how to do a search for Monadnock without a hundred hits for the NH mountain. I’m getting conflicting mileage and elevation from my search and my altimeter watch died before we started (anything from 2 ½, 2.4 or 2 miles and 2300’, 2108’, or 2039’ elevation gain). I tried to do my research before we went but there’s not much there. It’s not in the guidebooks, not listed as a hiking trail in VT’s Delorme maps, but a search here on VFTT gave me enough info to get there (I remembered a report of bobandgeri’s but the directions are wrong, even though they seemed to coincide with the Delorme map for Fire Tower Lane, but not their GPS track – correction - take a right after the bridge on Bridge St. then a left into the gravel pit). Some driving around located a fading sign and got us on track (Rte.102 is worth driving around on though).

So now we’re in the gravel pit. We needed to be sure the bike would still be standing when we returned. A change of shoes and we’re on our way up a dirt road to a trail sign. Then what? I forgot to bring a machete. The gravel pit is now an overgrown field of life and only a slight herd path is evident. We follow it and see a piece of pink flagging in the woods. Looks like that’s where we are going.

Ah, yes, now we are on a trail with markers - and a lovely trail it proves to be. The hard work done on this trail is evident in the impressive waterbars, stonework, cut blowdowns and finally the tower. On our return we met a pair (the only two we’d see the whole time) with the woman telling us of the five year project to improve the trail. We thanked her. The wood for the tower was all carried up. She was part of the crew and said it is rare to see someone on the trail. Word in town was similar – not enough view along the trail for the effort so not many hike it. We would disagree – view is in the eye of the beholder, and even it you didn’t climb the tower the changing scenery, the river (with no name?), the impressive walls of rock, the plant life and the solitude made it quite enjoyable.

But there is a tower.

I dallied around taking pictures and exploring the summit area but my husband went right up.

I psyched myself for the climb and slowly made my way up.

Once in the cab I dropped to the floor to gain my composure and then was able to take pictures in all directions, soak in the view and eat a snack. I had wanted to come here for a while and wasn’t disappointed.

The long weekend allowed us the time to enjoy not only the hike but the ride to and around Colebrook. We did the tourist thing and rode through Evans, Grafton (what’s up with the $2/person entrance fee at Moose Cave?) and Dixville Notches, stopping for pictures, views and picnicking. The next day after our morning hike we cleaned up, had lunch, and road north to the border again taking in the sights along the string of Connecticut Lakes and not to be missed – Beaver Brook Falls along Rte. 145. No moose sightings but a bear crossed our path near the border. I always enjoy the Colebrook area and can recommend staying at the Northern Comfort Motel right on Rte.3 (clean, friendly, quiet, reasonable price, and did I say clean!). We have stayed there in the past. We also had two dinners and one breakfast at Howard’s Restaurant in the middle of town and we both were very pleased with our meals and service.

Why the mountain is hidden is the question.

Nice report

That is some kind of high tower...perhaps I could reach the second or third layer..that being said..the trail looks nice..the area is beautiful.. I can vouch for the Colebrook area having stayed at Northern Comfort and eating at Howards...Very nice well run places..That is not to stay the 99$ special at the balsams doesn't require a second look...good hiking up in there as well.. The trip into doing Megalloway is almost as special as climbing the peak itself.....

carole said:
(what’s up with the $2/person entrance fee at Moose Cave?)
Nature Conservancy I believe, they have to pay for upkeep somehow

Why the mountain is hidden is the question.
The trailhead landowner didn't like hikers and actually removed signs (sound familiar?) but apparently that has changed

I know a guy who paid for all the new lumber for a fire tower, he probably makes less money than most people reading this so you can save a tower if you want to

Silverfox said:
That is some kind of high tower...perhaps I could reach the second or third layer..that being said..the trail looks nice..the area is beautiful..
I wasn't sure I'd make the top either but it is a very sturdy tower and even though it was quite windy up top I felt no movement. When they move in the wind is when I don't go up. If I recall, Magalloway moved. :eek:
Silverfox said:
The trip into doing Megalloway is almost as special as climbing the peak itself.....
I concur!

RoySwkr said:
Nature Conservancy I believe, they have to pay for upkeep somehow
What was questionable was that it was a fee tube but no sticker or anything to be evidence that you paid. The sign said it allowed you entrance into the other sites in Grafton Notch. These we had already stopped at and there was no indication of a fee that I saw.

carole said:
What was questionable was that it was a fee tube but no sticker or anything to be evidence that you paid. The sign said it allowed you entrance into the other sites in Grafton Notch. These we had already stopped at and there was no indication of a fee that I saw.
I'm wrong, it's Step Falls the Nature Conservancy owns:
http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/maine/preserves/art20277.html

So Moose Cave is part of the state park which accounts for the other sites

How do you affix a sticker to a motorcycle to be theft-proof? The WMNF lets cycles in free for this reason.

Very nice! Thanks for posting and bringing us along. You made me want to drive up there. :D

happy trails :)

For those who are thinking of hiking in the NE kingdom of VT or in the far north country of NH, climing this one first makes a lot of sense for gettings ones bearings. Just make sure you bring an appropriate section map of the area as there are a lot of mountains that you will want to identify.

As for the first 100 yards of the trail, it is very hard to locate and easy to end up in the neighbors yard. Drive in the gravel pit and stay to the left. Park along the woods and follow the road/path to your left. You are walking roughly parallel with the highway you came in on. Keep a sharp eye out for a faint path that heads up hill into the woods. If you go through a grown up hedge and end up on the adjoining property, you have gone to far. There is an obvious path on the neighbors property that looks like a trail and ends up at a shack. So if you find the shack, turn around and go back to the gravel pit. Once you are in the woods, the trail is real obvious with a well worn treadway.

peakbagger said:
As for the first 100 yards of the trail, it is very hard to locate and easy to end up in the neighbors yard. Drive in the gravel pit and stay to the left. Park along the woods and follow the road/path to your left. You are walking roughly parallel with the highway you came in on.
After you park to the left of the gravel pit and stay left (as peakbagger says) you will see the sign I posted in my first picture. At the sign you turn left for a few yards (about 20) and then turn right on this faint path that goes up and over a grown over sand hill then continues (maybe 50 yards) through the overgrown field. There was no other herd path so at this time it was easy enough to follow.

peakbagger said:
Keep a sharp eye out for a faint path that heads up hill into the woods. If you go through a grown up hedge and end up on the adjoining property, you have gone to far. There is an obvious path on the neighbors property that looks like a trail and ends up at a shack. So if you find the shack, turn around and go back to the gravel pit. Once you are in the woods, the trail is real obvious with a well worn treadway.
The third picture shows the entrance to the woods which had pink flagging at this time. The forth picture shows the shack through the woods and is right next to the trail which is now very obvious. (click on the pictures to enlarge)

Hiking VT's Monadnock

Hi all -

just so folks know, the Green Mountain Club (www.greenmountainclub.org) features Monadnock in our Day Hikers Guide to Vermont. The trail is maintained in part by our Northeast Kingdom Section (chapter) http://www.nekgmc.org/.

Also note that coming soon we will have waterproof hiking map to VT's Northeast Kingdom that will include Monadnock. Give us a call or check our website for when this will be available.

Happy Trails.

Pete Antos-Ketcham
Green Mountain Club

antos_ketcham said:
just so folks know, the Green Mountain Club (www.greenmountainclub.org) features Monadnock in our Day Hikers Guide to Vermont.
I have the Day Hikers Guide, but it's the 3rd edition, and it's not in there. I was told it is in the 4th edition which is good to hear. And thank you to all involved in making this a nice trail.