Monroe, Ike and Pierce via Ammo Ravine, Crawford, Mts. Monroe & Ike Lp Trs - 1/13/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazySage

Reaction score
Monroe, Ike and Pierce via Ammo Ravine, Crawford, Mts. Monroe & Ike Lp Trs - 1/13/13

Date of Hike: 1/13/13

Trails: Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, Crawford Path, Mts. Monroe and Eisenhower Loop, and Webster Cliff Trail

Conditions: Due to the high temperatures the trail were slushy, wet and slippery. Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail was bare-bootable in the early morning, easily followed except for the upper slopes, right below the hut, where various paths wandered about until reaching the hut. All paths above tree-line had been wind-swept down to ice, and that ice melted to slush due to the high temperatures. Path finding was very easy as there was little snow up on the ridge. Crawford Path was deep-snow that softened as the day went on so that postholing became common-place.
Special Equipment Required: Microspikes were essential. We used spikes all the way up the Ammo Trail and over the ridge. Crampons would have been over-kill in the temps we had, as the ice was very soft, but will be highly recommended, if not essential, once the temps drop again. Snowshoes are highly recommended on the descent. We tried to bare-boot down the Crawford Path, but eventually realized the damage that we were doing and switched over to snowshoes.

Comments: Snowshoes may be heavy, and may be a PITA to carry, but please, for the sake of a smooth trail and happy hikers, please carry them and start wearing them once you start to posthole. A chewed-up trail is no fun for anyone. I will be the first to admit that I’m not always cheerful about the extra weight, and will wait to switchover when I’m moving fast (I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I really am), but I recognize the fact that we will all benefit if we take care of the trails.

Jen English

jenglish one at worcester dot edu

41/48 W-NH48