Moose Brook Campground, Gorham

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onrhodes

Reaction score
I did a quick search and could not find much, so here it goes.

Anyone stay at Moose Brook Campground in Gorham? I just reserved site #22 for 8/24-8/26. I got site #22 if anyone knows the specifics?

It's going to be my base for #48. Moriah.

Thanks,
-Pete

I've stayed there, very nice, coin showers.

Moose Brook

My wife and I camp with our dog there a lot, we really enjoy it, and it's a short drive to town. I'll give you the layout. When you drive up Jimtown Road from Rte 2, on your right you will see a small pond. At the far end of the pond there is a cabin. That's where you register. The entrance to the campsites is actually across the street from this. Once you're in there it is easy to find the sites. There are flush toilets and showers, not luxurious, but they'll seem that way in a campground.

They let people camp in the picnic area for overflow. It's actually much quieter over there. The pond you see from the road is very shallow, they call it the "Warming Pond", but that's bull. The idea is the shallow pond warms the water before it flows into the deeper swimming pond below. This is an excellent swimming pond, don't miss it.

There is another brook across from the cabin. Straight across the field from the front door of the cabin there is a trail that follows along this brook for a mile or two, I forget exactly, it then crosses a bridge and follows a road back to the cabin. It's a nice walk if you're looking for something easy.

KDT

If you want a warmer swimming spot, the town pool on the right coming into town tends to warm up. If you are doing the Stony Brook up and Carter Moriah down loop (highly recomended) the pool is along the road walk back to Stony Brook. (the road walk consists of walking down the street from the CM trailhead and taking a left over the swinging bridge, take another left on the street and walk down the road until you hit the pool, then hike south on RT 16.

Right now Crabby Jacks next to the Royalty is getting a better local reputation than Mr. Pizza for eats. Unfortunately not much for good early and fast breakfasts in town.

Food in town

If it's food in town someone is after I highly recommend Mary's on Cascade Flats. Take Rte 2 to Rte 16 and turn left (north). Cascade Flats is a few miles on the right. It's a little hole in the wall, but Mary's has some of the best pasta and pizza I have had ANYWHERE. And they serve beer!

KDT

I stayed at Moose Brook and had a site out in the field. Very buggy. It seems alot of the campsites are on a loop with the inside (left side) having the parking slots in the woods but beyond in the open field are the picnic tables and area to pitch tents. My personal preference is Shelburne Birches CG for the Gorham area to camp at. Reasonable sized campsites with decent greenery privacy dividers between sites. Not cramped like some private CGs. Standard swimming pool but there is also a private trail to pretty falls and pool maybe 1/2 mile in length running south from the CG.

Also, just a recommendation if you're doing Moriah, and you can hike 14 miles, I highly promote the circular out of Wild River Camp. Moriah Brook is spectacular, the ledges up to Moriah are incredible coming from the south, Shelburne-Moriah (a NE 100 highest) is an open summit worth visiting and the remote Kenduskeag Trail is really scenic and the icing (literally) on the cake is the crossing of the Wild River on the Shelburne Trail to end the hike actually is quite refreshing and in the end of August the river shouldn't be too difficult to ford. Something to think about?

Another item, I love this Wild River CG as it very rarely fills up and is as remote as a CG can get in the northeast with a dead end road of 8 miles in length just to get to it. A couple of years ago I stayed mid-week in June there and had the CG to myself! Swimming in the Wild River and ideal trailheads right outside your tent to lots of interesting places. It is primitive in that there is a water pump, lean-tos, picnic tables and an outhouse and that is it for facilities. It is roughing it with your car accessible. Also, no cell service available or even a pay phone around. But wilderness galore. I love it there.

Last edited:
Moose Brook Campground

I stayed at Moose Brook several times, including 3 days earlier this week. When I stay there I prefer the sites on the right side of the road away from the field. They are more secluded and quieter.

It's $23 per night and has coin operated hot showers. There's only one shower in each mens/womens room so you may have to wait a bit if it's busy. Try using 1 quarter to get it started and if you're quick you can probably complete a shower before the quarter runs out.

By the way, keep your site clean!! We had a bear come to the edge of our site on our first night. Luckily we already cleaned up from dinner and were just sitting by the fire. The bear gave us a look and wandered back into the woods. Pretty cool sighting!

Moose Brook is a great base camp for hiking some of those northern peaks like Cabot, Moriah or even Old Speck or Goose Eye in Maine.

Thanks for the replies. I have already been to the website and I am a state employee, so I get 50% discount at NH state campgrounds :D . I was more interested in peoples perspectives of the campground. So far at all the state campgrounds I have used they have all been very nice and generally a good time.
We already reserved site #22 for $28 for the weekend. I am pretty psyched about that price for 3 days and 2 nights.