Moose sighting in Saratoga County NY

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KZKlimber

Reaction score
I was much surprised to find a moose standing alongside Lake Rd in Ballston Lake about 0630 Monday morning (Memorial Day) as I was heading up to the ADKs for a day of hiking. The moose was relatively small ( on the moose scale) and had no rack - perhaps an young adult venturing out on its own? It was browsing in the brush along the roadside across from a swampy area. I have never seen one in New York State although we hear about a few sightings each year south of the ADKs. Very cool :cool:

moose in Saratoga Co.

I live in Saratoga Springs, and have never seen one in the County. However, we also have a place on the East shore of Lake George(just south of Dunhams Bay) and have seen 3 in the last 5 years. Two cows - one swimming in front of our dock, and a male with a big 4 ft. easy, maybe bigger rack in our driveway.

I stayed at SUNYA's camp Dippikill(outside of Warrensburg NY, near Thurman)this holiday weekend, and caretaker was very excited to tell us they found moose scat near the pond. Thru hiked the N'ville/Placid trail last October, and saw prints, but no moose. They are around, no doubt about it. It is a great thrill to see them. Hope the sightings continue.

Rob