Moosilauke 1/22/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
On the way home from the Hancocks on Friday, I wracked my brain to find a hike that would allow me to enjoy the predicted beautiful weather and still be home to watch the Patriots/Ravens game (luckily, that went our way). I decided that Moosilauke would fit the bill. Last time I was there was for OldMan Ed's W48 finish. Coincidentally, he e-mailed me late Friday and Moosilauke was one of the choices he offered for Sunday. Not wanting to ruin my streak of multi-bump peaks where one is named South, I decided today was a great opportunity to tag South peak for the TW72 list.

IMG_9005.JPG
IMG_9036.JPG

Approaching treeline, View to South Peak

It was another cold morning and it took a while to get warm. We wore snowshoes, but light traction would work, and maybe even bare boots. There were two short stretches of blue ice about half way up but I think you could find a way around them. At the three-way junction, the sun was quite warm and we stopped for a snack, and then went up South Peak where the views were fine and the wind somewhere between slight and non-existent.

IMG_9007.JPG
IMG_9010.JPG

Moosilauke from South Peak, The Pemi from South Peak

There were ski tracks from the junction to the summit. Above treeline, there were a few drifts, some Styrofoam, and a bit of ice. With still no wind to speak of, we emerged above the trees. Presently, an Airedale Terrier came bounding up to us. With no owner in site, she accompanied us to the summit to await her master.

IMG_9020.JPG
IMG_9021.JPG

Lafayette/Lincoln, Liberty/Flume; Twins/Bonds; Presidentials

So another really nice, but cold day, and more views from the southern ring of the White Mountains. I'm going to have to head way north pretty soon.

All Photos

Tim

Tim, nice snow exposures on the second pair of photos.
Also, love how you placed the last pair of photos...nice virtual pano.