Moosilauke 8/26/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandaddy

Reaction score
Gorge Brook Trail-Carriage Road-Snapper Loop

We left home at 7:30 in the morning to start our 2 1/2 hour drive up to the Whites. About 1/4 mile up the street from my house, a guy in a Harley pulled beside us to tell us that our car had a flat tire! Not a great start to the day. It got better pretty fast though, as we happened to roll up to a garage just as they were opening up and they fixed the flat in about ten minutes. We were on the road.

I pulled off of 128 in Newton, MA to go to Starbucks, where my wife spotted Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek, who she informed me looked much better in person! I think that I will file this away for future use!

We arrived at the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge around 11 am. The temperature was a fall-like 65 degrees out, which drew no complaints from us. After gearing up ourselves, and Isaac, the dog, we set up the Gorge Brook Trail. This was Isaac’s first trip with his new backpack. He never quite figured out that he was about 50% wider with his pack on, and clanged into several rocks and trees on his journey through the trails.

The ascent up the Gorge Brook Trail was pleasant with a few streams crossings and several nice views on the last half of the trail. The trail is an easy-to-moderate grade the whole way up. We reached the summit around 1pm. There we about 10-15 hikers at the summit during our stay. We were in and out of the sun and there was a cool breeze blowing in from the north. After eating our sandwiches and a few Twizzlers, we took a couple of group shots then headed down.

We hiked down the Carriage Road to the Snapper to return to the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge. The grade was pretty easy-to-moderate the whole way down. It is a less interesting trail than Gorge Brook, but seemed easier on the knees, so it made a good trail for descending. I recommend this loop, but no so in reverse. I look forward to coming back in the fall or next spring.

:) Click here for photos! :)

Ehh Varitek is just eye candy...or so I hear...... :eek:

Great report and I loved your pictures, including the ones of Duxbury!!! But I couldn't view the ones of Providence.

Isn't Mt Moosilauke wonderful?

grouseking

Nice report, great pics! Isaac is very handsome with his new pack even if it does make him spacially challenged. ;)

Paradox said:
Nice Post! What kind and where did you get the pack for your dog? Zippy just destroyed hers this past weekend, so it will be a good Xmas present.
I bought him a Mountainsmith Dog Pack (Picture) from Hilton's Tent City in Boston. It is also available through different internet retailers. I thought that it worked out quite well. It has 2 big saddle pockets that can each easily fit a 1 liter Nalgene bottle, and then some. Also, it has a mesh pocket on top for various things.

Last edited:
Isaac looks very pleased with himself. Nice pics!